THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Hunting - Shooting alone ... safety

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting - Shooting alone ... safety
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

Thought I'd throw this out for discussion and comments -

Hunting groundhogs (or whatever you like) alone.

Huge farms with nice backdrops and few roads and buildings in sight present little trouble, but smaller places, can present a safety issue.

Intensely concentrating with your head down in the scope, ear muffs on -- waiting (... and waiting ) for that old, wary hog to stand so you can pop 'im ... the safety situation around you can change.

Do you experienced hunters that go out alone have a routine of popping your head up to make sure the shot you're about to squeeze off is still safe? Or do you always have a buddy with you?

Further on this ... at my gun clubs shooting range ...

Alone ... head down, trying to shoot a good group, ear muffs on and mentally isolated -- I do have the occasional lapse of focus when I wonder is some goober going to traipse down ahead of my muzzle without calling for a "range clear?"

===========================================

I'm a stickler for safety. Been a range officer for our clubs combat handgun (IPSC) and handgun silhouette (IHMSA) programs and was always diligent to recognize potential problems and see to it that they were addressed and taken care of.

Now I just shoot my varmint rifle for groups and hunt.

So ...

Comments? This a concern for any of you guys?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always shoot/hunt alone...not by choice, just a result of lack of shooting buddies. The only departure from shooting alone is at the range. This is the time that I really wish I was alone! Lots of idiots out there that cause distractions and keep me from getting done what I need to get done.

While at the range, I am constantly "edgy" and always looking around to see what's going on...I can't help it.

Out in the varmint world, I generally am pretty spooky, too. Again, I can't help it. There are times when I am out lookin' to pop a rock chuck that I basically am not too far off the road and will be checking the surroundings out for safety and to attempt to be able to keep "stuff" out of sight of the passer-bys so I don't attract too much attention.

When well of the road, I still look around, but not as much. I have never had a "stranger" appear out of nowhere when up on an outlook with a rifle pointed across a drainage at a rocky outcrop, or when out in the middle of nowhere looking at prairie dogs...but you just never know for 100% sure!

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I prefer to hunt and shoot alone so my concentration isn't messed with. I have had a couple of minor injuries while hunting some of New Mexico's back country alone but nothing more than scrapes and bruises. Those derned rocks sure do get out from under the feet when it's muddy! I intentionally get to the range before sunrise so I can pretty much be finished by the time the other shooters arrive. Like others, I have no shooting or hunting buddies--well, my son has 3 more years left in the Navy before my hunting buddy returns--but for the most part I like not having to converse with others while I'm trying to hunt or concentrate on shooting. Seems like I talk all day at work so when I get a chance to have some fun part of the fun is getting to be quiet and just enjoy doing what I love to do and being outside. I'm quite sure I could find more than plenty of folks to hunt or shoot with--just don't want to! I've had many near catastrophes at the range when others were there shooting and none when I was alone.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loooooooots of trouble shooting well at a public range, unless it's a slow day. I get kindof nervy and twichy. It's somewhat the same if you're with someone and shooting varmints, unless you're both comfortable with each other, and don't feel the need to vocalize everything.

I prefer to do my big-game hunting with friends, especially if they can carry alot of weight! Unfortunately, most of them have wives/jobs/interests that preclude them from hunting as much as me. So, I do alot of hunting alone, and enjoy every bit of it, but would most likely feel better and safer with a competent companion.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I shoot alone alot because I shoot so often that friends can't always make it. My biggest concern is cattle walking across the ranges that I'm shooting in.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I took a buddy hunting last week and he is supposed to be a Billy-bad-a** hunter. He has an extensive gun collection and I thought I might learn some things from him.
Well, he makes more noise than 5 people not hunting LOL. He sounds like a heard of elephants even when standing still. It took a few minutes at first to catch on to the fact that he is just extremely clumbsy and loud as heck! I realise that coyote hunting isnt easy to the beginner but I cant see where he would even bag a blind groundhog! LOL
Too loud, too clumbsy,seems to snap every twig in the woods.LOL
Our first time out behind his bosses house, I called up a yote,he appeared 500 yds away across a cow field and I mumbled to my buddy to be still. The coyote got to about 75 yds. and was gonna stop and my buddy began yelling "shoot it! Shoot it!!!" LOL I blew it and just jerked the trigger and that was the first coyote I have ever missed. Yes I was the trigger man and firing on a miss was my fault but I think he learned to be quiet as the master is taking aim LOL. I'v never had anyone yell while I was shooting. Kinda like someone shouting as a golf pro takes a put LOL.
2 days later he missed 2 in one spot(the same field)about an hour apart at 200 yds with a nice scoped 30-06 bolt. I hate to waste the energy when someone asks for advice and then does the exact oppisite. Wasts my time. He is my friend and I will take him coyote hunting when I can but I agree with others that I'm narrowing my chances by taking him along. I want to help him but I wonder if some people are not cut out for coyote hunting.Or hunting in general for that matter. As far as safety,he is ok,or I wouldnt be there.
I was firing a freshly built FAL(.308) on some public land last winter,prone in the snow and as I was about to squeeze one off, I seen a green blazer pull right into the crosshairs and stop. I freaked out and rolled over and uncharged the gun. It was a gam warden just there to see what was up. I didn't bother to tell him that I almost blasted a hole through his truck and anything in between.LOL I mean, his passenger window stopped right in the crosshairs! Close one!!!
I get into the Zone also while hunting alone.
I hunt coyotes (my favorite place)3-4 miles from any road. I hate cell phones,but I take one hunting.Here in Indiana,you twist your ankle or fall in sub -0 temps, you could be a dead man LOL. Our game warden will come lookin for ya after dark if your vehicle remains unmoved after dark.Sometimes he waits to make sure hunters make it out.Pretty cool really. I have never had much success with hunting partners,though a 6 year old boy was actually a pretty good squirell hunter. I fixed him up with a 10/22 with optics and lectured him on safety and being quiet. He practiced a few times and shot like a champ.First time out,he set the rifle down on a stump and got a red in the neck from the top of an oak tree!!! I was so proud!LOL
He learned fast and follows all the rules,even a few of my own. He is very safe and comfortable.

Thank god Indiana is full of timber/field/timber/field. I do know why the dont allow rifles for deer here though HAHA!
Any round/bullet has the potential for a AWOL shot. I always try to get to where I'm isolated as much as possible and never,ever shoot in plain direction of people. I was watching a hunting show on CNN sports and 2 supposed pros shot a buck with a 7mm. Nice shot, nice big buck,only one problem. They were shooting directly at a farm with a truck,tractor,house barn,grain silos. I called a friend to help verify and he turned to see it too and we were both shocked that they would be so stupid as to even show the scene.Let alone not know any better them selves. They should have let the buck walk another 100 yds and they wouldnt have shot directly at a house! Man,that pissed me off.No wonder its next to impossible to find landowners to let ya hunt these days,with the idgets committing dangerous/wreckless acts on CNN.Sheesh! jerryboy

Posts: 8 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerryboy ... where are you at in Indiana?

one of us
posted Hide Post
We're not so bad over here as the game/varmints are very wary and if someboby is bimbling about,usually with large cleated boots,the wildlife will tell you by buggering off.
The hard bit is when you are zeroing a rifle or testing a load.Same old story dog walkers ,tractors ,Police,who have been told theres a drug war going on.
I prefare to zero etc with a 'watcher' for these reasons.
I take my 'watcher' rabbit shooting with .22lr and 243.
He's a good friend of mine and a great air rifle shot(always misses over the top} but as noisy as a small elephant.
He was made up when we shot 30 rabbits in a day.
I didn't have the heart to tell him I usually shoot 70.
On the next outing he will learn stealth.
Going back to the subject I habitually check the panarama before getting down for the shot.
Rob T.

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote