Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tikka t3
 Login/Join

posted
Hi. Has anyone here tried to rebarrel a Tikka T3? Seems to me it would make a great alternative to a custom 700. Want to put on a PacNor in 17 Rem. Instead of spending a pile to true up and outfit a Remington action, seems a guy could use a T3 Lite in 223, which already has a pretty good trigger and passable synthetic stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pfranklin20vt: I have three Remington 700 Rifles in caliber 17 Remington. All 3 of them are pleasingly accurate!
None of them have been trued!
None of them have been re-barreled!
None of them have been bedded!
None of them have been recrowned!
All have factory triggers!
Have you had a bad experience with a Remington 700 in 17 Remington?
I know several more Varminters who have Remington 700's in 17 Remington and they like me are pretty happy with them.
Re-barreling a Rifle (any Rifle) has become a very expensive endeavour anymore!
And if I recall correctly when I purchased a Shilen barrel and had the Riflesmith chamber and fit it to a Remington 700 action (caliber 17 MachIV) there was a premium on the 17 caliber barrel blank - on top of all the other monies I spent for that bit of smithing!
If you have not had a bad experience with a Remington 700 in caliber 17 Remington I suggest you give one a try!
Remington offers a couple of Rifles in 17 Remington and I am sure one of them would fill your needs.
If it does not make it up to your expectations the Remingtons in caliber 17 Remington resell quite easily and you would not loose much moola if you were a patient shopper and seller.
If I may take the time to list the best groups each of my Remington 700's in 17 Remington have shot - for your consideration!

Remington 700 VSS - (Varmint Stainless Steel - limited production run of 1,000) 5 shots at 100 yards = .413"! (6.5x20 scope)

Remington 700 Classic - 5 shots at 100 yards = .562" (4x12 scope)

Remington 700 BDL - 3 shots at 100 yards measuring .432" (3x9 scope)

And remember these groups were shot with Varmint type bullets! Also this, all three Rifles were very easy to make (find) accurate handloads for! The last one - the 700 BDL - made that group using ammo from one of my other 17 Remingtons. I just bought it a month or so ago and I have not had a chance to make custom handloads for it as yet and I have been relying on the handloads from my other Rifle.

If by chance you are relying on the "rumor mill" to base your disdain for the Remington 700 Rifles/actions on then I hope you give the simple but strong Remington 700 SA's a "second" chance - in person.
I have always been happy with them and I have been using them for decades now.
Long live Remington!
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one .17 Remington it is a Remington 700 BDL. I bought it used I knew a little history on the rifle. I was low rounds and the fellow was left handed and my rifle is a right hand action. He found a left hand action and had a custom make out of it in .17 Remington. He needed money for the new .17 I got a real deal.

My new .17 had a bit of a rough barrel some JB took care of very nicely. The Lugs have been lapped the trigger adjusted to around 2 pounds. It had been bedded before I bought it. I shoots better than this old man .4 to .7 groups are very common. The better groups coming with IMR 4320 and 25 Bergers. Topped with a Vari-X III 4.5 X 14 X 50.

I fondled the Tikka T3 a few months back I liked it but I'm staying with my Remmy it is one of funest guns I have.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A man that wants a custom rifle, buys a Remington rifle as the basis of the new rifle. Remington rifles are not rebarreled because the barrels are not good, they are rebarreled because the owner thinks he can squeese another 1/4" better groups out of the rifle. At any match in this country, you will see either custom actions or Remington actions on match grade rifles.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote