New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windy afternoon bobcat
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As I recall the wind was blowing so hard at our lease on the Saturday after Christmas it would have blown the wig off my bald head if I wore one. Man was it kickin. I got out about 4 that afternoon. Didn't see a thing so I started calling using a waning jack call on my FX3 about 5 pm. I made a couple of sequences with no luck. Tried a third about 5:30. Called for about 5 minutes then shut it down. Looked to my left about a minute later. This cat was trotting at a ninety degree angle to me about 100 yds. away. I tried to get a shot but trees and bushes were in the way. Then I remembered I had a game call with me. What a dummy, I hit the volume button and that cat came running like I was reeling him in on a string. Stopped about 30 yds to my left. He was behind a bush so I waited as he tried to figure out what that quivering rabbit decoy was. He trotted to another bush 10 yds closer and stopped . I still didn't have a shot. He crept out from behind the bush and was about twenty paces away directly in front of me. I nailed him with my 17 fireball using a 20 grain nosler v-max. He jumped 5 feet straight up in the air, ran 10 yds or so and piled up.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Acrnstlkr
posted Hide Post
Wow damn nice cat! i think they just made bobcat legal in iowa, wish i had a tag!

Freedom is not Free! So thank your Military!

Posts: 41 | Location: Chester IA. | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Acrnstlkr,
welcome to AR. Hope you enjoy your self here. Lots of guys who really know their stuff.
Bobcats, hogs, fox, coyote badger, coons, crows, etc. are varmints here and you don't have to have a tag, just a hunting license.
Good luck to you and don't be a stranger.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Acrnstlkr
posted Hide Post
Ya we need a furbearers licence and a hunting licence for all but bobcats and then a tag to boot for them! wow not cheap!

Freedom is not Free! So thank your Military!

Posts: 41 | Location: Chester IA. | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nice kitty! It goes to show that perseverance in unfavorable conditions can indeed pay off.

You definitely made the most of a less-than-stellar situation. thumb

Of course, your post also gets me to thinking again about the .17 Fireball -- and that I think I "need" one in a Contender barrel.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
I agree, you definately need a 17 ackley hornet or 17 fireball barrell for your contender frame. I've sold off most of my contender barrels, but I still have three old style frames to go with a virgin valley 17 ackley hornet barrell, a 17 mach iv bulberry barrell and a tactical 20 virgin valley barrell. I like the triggers on the old contenders much better than the encores. I have mine breaking about 1 to 1.5 lbs.
The ackley hornet is just about perfect for fox. I still have some old 18 grainers that I load and get around 3700 fps. If I get a chance I'll post some groups later.
GWB

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Well done GWB!! That is one "chunky" bobcat!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote