Find
Notify
Tools

Advice Needed!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted
Ok, I'm looking to buy a new (Another one!) varmint rifle. Has to be a 223 and has to be a semi-auto. What does everyone recommend here? Don't just tell me that "I like the Whumper Gismo" but tell me why you like it? I don't consider price to be a real obstacle but do want one that is accurate and reliable.
And I do have several bolt guns available - don't expect the SA to be AS accurate but do want one that will shoot. The primary use and reason for the SA will be to shoot called up 'yotes.
Thanks in advance.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend the Rock River Varminter. I used one to hunt with this year. I shot 93 ground hog's with it this year. The rifle is extremely accurate. Below is a picture of a three shot group at 300 yards. Mine has the 20 inch bull barrel, and I can see impacts with the rifle. It also has a great trigger, which is standard on the rifle. I shot mine about 175 times this year.

The best part about the accuracy is that I shot that group with factory ammo. It was Black Hills 50 grain V-Max(red box).

Follow up shots are unbelievably fun with this rifle, the rifle literally stays on target.

I am in the opposite condition that you are in. I hunt a lot in PA. I was sitting in a field in PA last week when a State Trooper stopped to talk with me. He sat down and talked to me for about fifteen minutes. When he was about to leave he said "you are a pretty good guy, so I am only going to warn you-your rifle is illegal in PA". Boy I dodged a bullet there. Now I am going to sell my AR and buy a new bolt .223. If you decide on a RR give me a call. If you are close to WV you can even stop by and shoot her. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to argue with HRAD0001's choice.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will add a third to the Rock River guns. They are very tight and fit and finish is top notch.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
For a coyote gun, I don't like the bull barrelled ARs. Mine's fine for a sit and shoot but a pain in the butt if you have to move around a lot.

I use an Hbar type AR for walking/stalking varminting and a bull barrel for the colony varmints.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I built an AR back when I worked with the owner of Badger Ordnance. I had very little interest in the project until I shot it. I used a Shilen match grade barrel and threaded & chambered it myself. That was a pain. It shoots itty bitty groups. The only thing I don't like about the rifle is the scope is too far above the bore line. Makes it hard to shoot prairie dogs at a different ranges. I use a bolt 223 for my yote gun now. If I were to build another gas gun for coyotes it would probably be a Ruger mini 14 ranch rifle. These have a normal distance from the bore to scope and fit in a window gun rack a lot better. Not knocking the AR's here, just think an accurate Mini 14 would be a better working rifle for coyotes. Key word here is accurate!

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1859 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input and the advice. I have a long standing prejudice against the AR and variants, interesting to see the comments re accuracy of these weapons – they have surely came a long, long ways since I first met the M16’s. Was wondering about the Ruger, never having owned a Mini14 but very pleased with the Ruger M77 and the No1, etc.
Still trying to decide but will have to take another look at the AR variants.
Again, thanks to all.
And BTW, in the first posting, Head0001 stated, ‘When he was about to leave he said "you are a pretty good guy, so I am only going to warn you-your rifle is illegal in PA".’ Why? What made this gun illegal??? I would have understood if this was California or NY but PA? I thought this was a state with a great number of hunters, etc.? Was I wrong?

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that the new Mini-14 is a shooter. I have an old one myself & it shoots about minute of barn.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My oldest Son shoots High Power Matches competetively, where the AR-15 is the rifle that is used. He has three of them built up, but don't know who built them for him. He showed me one group he shot with one. The group measured 1/2" for 5 shots at 100 yards, using iron sights.
Those things can be made to shoot very well.

Don

Edit to add: Trapper, I know that semi auto rifles are not legal for hunting in PA, but never heard they were illegal to own and shoot otherwise. I'm originally from PA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked the hunting laws when I got home. It clearly states no semi's.

And let me be honest with you. I would never question a State Trooper to start with. I respect their opinions. And normally they are right. So I felt lucky. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.223 WSSM.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
VOLQUARTSEN is the one if price is not a problem