Find
Notify
Tools

223 WSSM?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone running one of these?

I've heard some nasty rumors about needing to neck turn them...?

Thoughts?

Thx

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I fooled with a Model 70 Winchester Super Shadow Super Short for a while. Biggest piece of crap I ever bought.

I have no complaints about the cartridge. It will do all you could ever want from a 22 caliber rifle. It will put numbers on your chronograph that will amaze you.

However, the rifle (actually the barrel) was lousy! The gun never would shoot, ever. I tried factory ammo, I tried reloads with 40, 50, 52, 55, 60 grain bullets, etc. etc.

I was shooting it at the target range one day and finally was getting some groups under 2 inches. I decided to clean it before trying some more loads. I cleaned it and sat back down at the bench. I never hit the target frame again that day.

I sold it to a guy after telling him how it shot. He tried it and finally sent it back to Winchester. They sent him a new gun and he sent it back after a couple of weeks. They sent him a third rifle and it was just as bad.

The guy wound up rebarreling it with an after-market barrel and chambering it to 243 WSSM. It now shoots great!

I can tell you those necks ARE thick. It is just designed that way. Mine would smoke the case necks when shooting 40 grain bullets, even if the velocity was well in excess of 4000 fps.

I think it is a great cartridge and the case life seems excellant, just don't buy one of those Winchester crome lined barrels.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx for the info.

I just love the feel of the light lil rifle and it would be a great lope and yote rifle for me. If it was made in 22/250 I would of owned one long back but am just a bit leary on this one.

I did have 3 different M70 fwts' in 22/250 and couldn't get any of them to shoot well either however.

Thx

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What does the 223WSSM or the 243WSSM or the 25WSSM offer that hasn't been put on a plate before them??????????? The only one, and Winchester and Browning(one and the same) screwed that up, that had any merit was the WSM case necked to 6.5 or .257!!!!! NOT THE WSSM's!! How much more accuracy can be squeezed from a .224 diameter case when made into a 22PPC or 22-250 or 220 Swift or even the 222Magnum or 222Remington? Let's look at the 6mm clan, .243Win, 6mmRem, 6x47Rem(all around little accurate number until someone dinked with a "ruskie case" in the mid 70's and came up with the 6PPC!!) And the 25WSSM...............what does it offer that GOD'S chosen chambering..........the 25-06 can't do?.........Short bolt throw, not available many places, no increased speed or accuracy over other quarter-bores.......... Accuracy kills stuff!! Speed is for barber shop or beer joint rifle shooters! Get yourself a good rifle that feels good in one of the tried and true chamberings! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not all that hot for either the 223 or 243 WSSM, but the 25 WSSM sure works for me. I have several of the Winchester/USRA 70s and like them as well as any other regular production grade rifle in their price range. I like the Ultimate Shadow style the best of the 3 styles that I have; Super Shadow, Ultimate Shadow and Coyote. The injection molded synthetic stocks on the Super and Ultimate Shadows aren't all that stiff and can benefit from having some graphite arrow shafts glassed into the forearms. The laminated stocks on the Coyotes are rigid, but a little too bulky for a walking deer rifle. My favorite Winchester/USRA 70 in 25 WSSM is a stainless Ultimate Shadow that is bedded into a McMillan Compact stock. The McM Compact is the only synthetic stock on the market that I've seen that is sized to fit the super short action and the featherweight barrel.

The 25 WSSM is a nice cartridge for the reloader, falling performance wise into the 257AI/25-284 catagory. I load my factory 1 in 10" twist barrels with 75 grain bullets for varmints and 100 grain bullets for deer. I load my after-market 1 in 14" twist barrel with 75 grain thru 90 grain bullets for varmints, but would be happy shooting deer with the 87 grain Speer HotCore. The Winchester/Olin WSSM brass is rather heavy (thick), but the Federal WSSM 243 brass has worked great for me. Over 2K rounds fired, mostly reloads, and not a single out of the ordinary problem or complaint from this satisfied 25 WSSM customer.

FWIW, the 25 WSSMs don't have chrome plated bores. Whether that makes a difference of not, I don't know. The only 223 WSSM that I have shot very much shot its best groups with 60 grain Partitions pushed hard, but I have been having so much fun with the 25 WSSM rifles that I haven't bothered with the 223 or 243 WSSMs.

There is a lot of WSSM knowledge at the WSSM site, www.wssmzone.com, for those who are interested. The WSSMs have gotten a lot of bad pressed, deserved or not, and much of what you will hear or read on the 'net is from people who are only repeating what they have read and/or heard.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the wssm's. I have shot the Heavy Varmint, Coyote, and Featherweight. The Heavy Varmint and Coyote were chambered 25 wssm and the Featherweight .223 wssm. All have been MOA out of the box including the Featherweight with 60-gr Partitions.

I've not heard experienced any nasty rumors about needing to neck turn. I do know of cases lasting several reloads without any work other than partial neck sizing. The little wssm's are addicting....great case design, very stiff action, sweet bolt throw and very accurate.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a M70 coyote in 308 and love it! I've had it for 5 years and will shoot 1/2 moa all day long, I,d buy another one tomorrow but we can't get them here in the UK anymore

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote