THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Boise,Idaho. RATS of the other kind?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boise,Idaho. RATS of the other kind?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
About 10 Yrs ago??? Boise area was over run with squeekies (sp) RATS. The rats were at the
top of there cycle. My point is that has to be going on at other places. How would one find out what areas of the US is in an up cycle of targets?? Would you call the state game and fish depts?? Here my point. Couple years I retire. Be nice to have gun will traval.

Life but a knife edge anyway.Sooner or later the man slips and gets cut.
YOU AIN'T SLIPPED SIR?
How would you know son.
(Streets Of Laredo)

Posts: 112 | Location: Bonetown,South Dakota | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gregg: My man, I have Hunted Ground Squirrels (squeakies?) for many decades now. Until 9 years ago I did not live amongst them. I have been observing them intently for the last 9 years and on that part time basis for 30+ years before that.
I am not convinced they have "cycles" of high then low populations???
For the last 9 years here in SW Montana and central Montana they can best be described as "maxed out" each year, numbers wise!
The Ground Squirrels that live on or near the cultivated fields are simply "maxed out"! I am sure of that!
The Ground Squirrels that live in the natural meadows and sage brush interspersed range lands are no where near as "thickly" populated as the "Squeakies" that live in and around the cultivated or irrigated fields!
I Hunt these "wild" Squirrels fairly often and have not noticed significant "up and down" variations in their numbers!
Nor have I heard any of my experienced Ground Squirrel Hunting friends mention "population cycles"?
I could be wrong - but like I say I have never noticed a "natural fluctuation" in their numbers! I have seen fields HEAVILY Hunted and I have seen fields and ranches that poison the Gophers! But a natural fluctuation of significant numbers has - til now - escaped my cognizance!
I do notice the natural fluctuations of both Cottontail Rabbits and Jack Rabbits - not many people Hunt them anymore and no one poisons them though.
I think - from year to year - if you travelled to good Ground Squirrel country you would have good Ground Squirrel Hunting - from year to year!
Unless a field gets heavily Hunted, poisoned or tilled up or crop changes occur, that is.

I had two friends Hunt western Idaho last year and they not only killt a TON of Ground Squirrels they shot quite a number of Badgers out there as well!
Its been a pretty mild winter here in the Rockies so far - if that influences you at all?
Good luck and a happy retirement for you - the sooner the better!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank You VarmintGuy
I can retire in 13 months at 55 yr old.
But money thing. Hope to be able to go
in not many more years. Three tops .
GF brothers live in Bozeman Mt. The
one told me that the Ground Squirrels
around there on the farm fields are thick?
Not many Ground Squirrels around here. Thought it might of been the sprays used on the farm
fields. Use to hunt them hard when I was a young man in North Dakota. PDs are hunted hard here with alot of pressure from out of state.
Don't forget the BLACK FOOTED Ferrit(sp) Closed
some areas. thumbdown bewildered
That ok don't have much time at this point in life anyway.
Thank You VarmintGuy again cheers

YOU AIN'T SLIPPED SIR?
How would you know son.
(Streets Of Laredo)

Posts: 112 | Location: Bonetown,South Dakota | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oregon, Washington and No Calif are loaded with sage rats.. if you head over this way...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert...but here is want I have found. In drought years. Ya shoot more of them. Thats not because ther are more....but more because the grass..crops are stunted, and ya get a better crack at them.

Posts: 53 | Location: Bothell, Wa. | Registered: 03 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Oregon, Washington and No Calif are loaded with sage rats.. if you head over this way...

GF from Red Buff Ca area. Might have to do that someday. Oh and Orvill Ca.(sp)(Home of RCBS at its start up)

YOU AIN'T SLIPPED SIR?
How would you know son.
(Streets Of Laredo)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by da_sidewinder:
I'm no expert...but here is want I have found. In drought years. Ya shoot more of them. Thats not because ther are more....but more because the grass..crops are stunted, and ya get a better crack at them.

That and what I remember I think less of the young die from the rain and drowning or what even seems to kills them. I don't know that for
sure but seems that way? But for sure your right in that they have no where to hide in the tall grass and it seems like there more of them. Oh and the spray thing.
If that was true you boys would not have the rats out your way? So that must not be true.

YOU AIN'T SLIPPED SIR?
How would you know son.
(Streets Of Laredo)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say there are no "sage rats" in Washington state. In front of me is a print out from http://wdfw.wa.gov that show pics of Wash. ground squirrel, Townsend's ground squirrel and the Columbian ground squirrel. The Beldings are of the type commonly known as 'sage rats' in Oregon and unless they have a good breast stroke while swimming, can't cross the Columbia or Snake rivers and that Fish & Wildlife site is seeking to conserve ground squirrel populations due to the habitat they provide for other animals......comments please. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote