Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Scope for AR rifle
 Login/Join

posted
I am adding a Remington R15 in .223 to my gun rack. I have been considering the Nikon Coyote Special. Always have been a Leupold or Zeiss fan. I have never shot wiith the BDC rings on the Nikon. I welcome all comments and suggestions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
depends what you plant to shoot.Mine is set up for coyote calling and it carries a Leupols VXII 4-12X. That combo has worked well for me.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What type of reticle? I have been considering same as yours but cannot decide between varmit redicle or the BDC dial.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
depends what you plant to shoot.

Predator calling? CQB? Varminting?

Reticle and magnification will depend on the use.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mostly predator calling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Nikons are really good stuff at really good prices. I think they are the most value for the dollar available right now.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
There is no magic about scopes. Pick out what you want and what you can afford. The only rule of thumb I have is; pick a scope that costs as much as the rifle. Other than that, use iron sights. Big Grin

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Choose what you want, but nowadays I spend a while thinking about what distance I will be shooting at the majority of the time, and pick a magnification based on that.

Go ahead and choose your own brand and model, but I decide on a magnification range first and then decide on a couple brands, and then pick a model.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For calling I'd probably pick a 4-12x 40mm scope. I've never used any kind of reticle other than duplex or fine crosshairs, so I can't really comment on that.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Mostly I use a duel mount with a holographic sight on the side of my 5-20x50 Trijicon.

Seen them on tactical rifles, but it works well for coyotes when you have one trying to bite you in the cockles.

Turns your 400 yard coyote gun into a 4 yard self defence gun by turning the gun 30 degrees.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas for the feedback. I ended up buying a Leupod Mark AR w/the BDC dial on elevation turret. Shot last weekend and was shooting very tight groups out to 200 yds. My 11 year old centered an aluminum can at 200 yds on his first shot. I used the Burris P.E.P.R. mount and it gave great eye relief. Going to to my farm in the morning to do some predator calling this weekend.