THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Remington & Leupold Range Testing

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington & Leupold Range Testing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Early last year I bought a new Rifle to be used for long range Varmints/Antelope/Coyotes. It is a Remington Model 700 VLS in caliber 260 Remington. This Model has the laminated stock and the 26" heavy blued barrel. I guess they only made this caliber in this model for a year or so. Anyway I got a super deal on it and the low cost helped push me over the decision edge to get it. I was not able to afford a scope for it until early December when I was finally able to get a Leupold VariX-III 6.5X20X40mm with Duplex reticle. I did a trigger job on the Rifle and mounted the scope on a one piece Leupold base with Leupold rings. I "bore sighted" the rings for perfect alignment and then lapped the rings with the Kokopelli lapping tool. I loaded up some ammo in Remington 260 cases using IMR 4064 powder and Federal Match primers. Since then I have been waiting for the wind to calm down here in SW Montana. Finally day before yesterday I was able to get out to the range with this new rig and a couple of other new Varmint Rifles. The day was just glorious 42 degrees with a blazingly bright low winter sun and snowcapped mountain peaks in every direction around the shooting bench! A winter size herd of 55 Antelope were lounging around in the short grass not 500 yards from the shooting bench! I just felt good. I did barrel break in and got the POI on the small BR targets I use for load development. Near the end of my shooting session I found I was down to my last 3 cartridges and decided to shoot the 260 for group. The wind was now just puffing I would say about 5-6 MPH but steady. I fired the last 3 shots and obtained a delightful .451" group! To say I was happy would be an understatement. The recoil from the heavy Remington was much milder than I thought it would be and I was also very pleased with that. The low at my back bright sun and crystal clear air (not much atmosphere at 6,050 feet elevation) made for an absolutely brilliant sight picture through the Leupold scope. The Leupold was adjusted several times to move the POI and all adjustments were appropriate without surprises or "jumps". No eyestrain whatsoever was noticed during this long (3 hours) range session using 3 Leupold scopes. The other two were a straight 24X and an older Leupold 8X Westerner from the early 1960's.
The trigger job I did remained crisp, light and without creep during the shooting session so I don't have to go back in there. I was just happy as a clam with the new 260 and can not wait to get it out on the high plains for Coyotes! I now have some fire formed brass and will load up some more ammo and head back out to the range to shoot some 5 shot groups and for final sight in. I think I won't even try any other loads as throughout my barrel break in regimen the Nosler 100 grain Ballistic Tips and the load I was using shot pretty well. I am sure the 100 grain Ballistic Tips will topple an Anteope also! By the way I took the suggested load from Nosler Manual #5 (the newest one) and that exact load they noted was the most accurate load tested and it used the most accurate powder tested (41.0 grs. of IMR 4064). Anyway their suggested accuracy load did well in my Rifle also.
I will let you all know how the 5 shot groups turn out hopefully in 10 days or so. I am going on a Buffalo Hunt to Ronan, Montana next week and I might just take the new Remington along with me! One never knows when a Coyote will pop up here in Montana. Speaking of Montana why don't all you guys just pull up stakes and move over here to Big Sky Country! Varmint Heaven! Year round Hunting! Year round fishing! Maybe its the fact they raised the yearly range dues this year from $10.00 to $15.00 - LOL? What is keeping you guys from.... aahhh on second thought maybe you better stay put and keep the economy on the road to recovery.
Long live Remington and Leupold!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

[ 01-11-2003, 22:11: Message edited by: VarmintGuy ]

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
Varmint Guy,
My M-700 VLS is in .22-250. You're right, that is one heck of an outfit. The only question I have is, did you consider the 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip? It might give you better performance at longer ranges and in the wind. Just a thought. Good luck. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are going to like that 260. I just had one built on a 700 action, in a McMillan stock, using a Krieger heavy varmint barrel. It shoots superbly, with the 142 MK using the load listed in the Nosler manual with 44 gr. of H4831. I had the rifle built to shoot 1000 yard F Class matches with. In practice this fall it is competing very well with my 300 WSM. I will have a hell of a time figuring out which one to shoot next spring. It shoots the 108 and the 123 Lapua Scenar very well also. I know a 500 yd Antelope would be in trouble in front of this rifle. Enjoy it you have a great rifle.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight.....RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I flattened a coyote on the run at 70 yards with 100 gr. Nosler BT's @ 3010 fps. I shoot the little brother to your rifle, a Laminate M700 Mtn. Rifle. Sweet rifles. I'm sure you will get 100 fps or more than my rifle. Got to love those long barrels. Blew a huge exit, size of a softball at least.

I'm going to try the 95 gr. V-Max's over Varget as soon as my eye heals up.

Good Shooting, TB [Wink]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BigBob: I just might try the Nosler 120 grainers. I am such a notorious "cheapskate" when it comes to extra rounds down a barrel. Once I get a good load with the bullet I want then its strictly fur or sight verification for my barrels and bullets! I will check the ballistic charts and see how that 120 flies today. This is not going to be a high volume shooting Colony Varmint type Rifle so I may just do some more load testing. Thanks for the tip.
Todbartel: I have a friend who has a Model 7 in 260 Remington. He has set aside 35 of the 95 gr. V-Max's for me to try. He swears by them. Claims they shoot well for him. I better try them also. I will check their flight characteristics today also. I pray your eye heals quickly and correctly! I did not hear about your injury I hope it is not serious!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote