THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: .22-244 Ack Imp range report!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .22-244 Ack Imp range report!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Finally got back out to the range to finish up my load testing for the 22-244 AI(22-6mm AI) using RL-22 and the 55 gr Sierra Blitzking seated to 2.820".

54.0 gr
4053 fps
E.S.: 20 fps
ctc: 0.578"

55.0 gr
4112 fps
E.S. 28 fps
ctc: 0.741"

56.0 gr
4203 fps
E.S.: 19 fps
ctc: .956"

The 55.0 gr load started to show some horizontal stringing but still shot into the 3/4 moa level. The vertical span of the groups averaged around 0.300".

The 56.0 gr load showed more evidence of horizontal stringing to a slightly greater degree, still vertical span of groups were around 3/10th of an inch.

This is the absolute max for this powder simply because I can not get any more powder into the case. Still, fired cases rechamber as if they were virgin brass and primer pockets feel like new.

I think I will stick with a load in the 53.0 to 54.5 gr level. Basically getting 150 fps more velocity then the Swift but with much less chamber pressure.

I know even more velocity is possible with faster burning powders such as RL-19, but I am totally satisfied with this powder and load combo.

Will be starting on a heavy barreled, fast twist rifle in this chambering here next week using a Lilja 30" straight cylinder 1.250" stainless barrel with a 1-8" twist. I will be testing the Berger 80 gr VLD and Hornady 75 gr A-Max first. Will report the data when I get it.

Good Shooting!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SS,

From the data I have seen and from what I have heard from one fella that has been testing his 223 WSSM, the 22-6mm AI is bascially smoking it in every catagory.

TO be fair, I have not yet been able to test teh round first hand so my judgement is partially dependent on others data but from what I have seen, the 223 WSSM is coming up quite short in velocity with all bullets weights.

I have seen some load data, I believe from Layne Simpson that lists the 40 gr Ballistic Tip loaded to 4450 fps but this does not impress me much. I would bet I could hit that with a heavy charge of VarGet under the 40 gr Ballistic Tip in the 22-6mm AI.

Powder charges seem a little heavier for the 22-6mm AI which does suprise me a little, I figured the WSSM would have an edge in capacity and it may have, only that guys are not using the correct powders to fill the case properly.

For some reason, it is hard for some loaders to use powder slower then 4350 and RL-19 in a 22 caliber round, they seem to not feel it is possible to need this slow powder in a 22 bore.

I would also like to point out that the 22-6mm AI will feed better then the WSSM in a repeating rifle, on the same point, most bolt actions would need no modification at all to the feed rails for the 22-6mm AI where as the WSSM would need extensive adjustments and still would have a high percentage of feeding problems.

Accuracy wise, I do not and never have accepted the theory that short, fat cases are more accurate by design.

The rifle I discribed above is just about the exact opposite of what BR shooters would design in a case, the 6mm-06 is very long, very skinny, has a very shallow shoulder angle and has far to large a case capacity for its bore size to be accurate.

Not to mention, it si shooting light bullets in a fast twist barrel, this combo could hardly be accurate. Still, that rifle could easily win 100 yard BR match with the groups its putting out.

Point being, I put my faith in good machining, solid bedding and match quality ammo, case design means squat in my book for accuracy.

Personally, I feel the best WSSM round is the 25. The 223 is not all that impressive from what I have seen yet. The ballistics I have seen list the 55 gr pill in the 3800 fps level, basically 220 Swift performance and factory ammo has fallen almost 200 fps slower then that. I do not understand the reason why but I do not like the 223 WSSM performance so far.

The 243 WSSM is a little better but there are so many amazing big 6mms out there that feed so much better and give more performance that the 243 is also an after thought to me as well.

Just one mans opinion though, it is good to see the industry coming up with new ideas, make things exciting at least and give us smiths a new case to wildcat off from.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned a 223 wssm sold it within 3 weeks of owning it. I was shooting 50 grain nosler bts at 4100 fps with a good dose of h380 and those were absolute max loads in the heavy barreled browning. accuracy was ok, it shot just better than moa at most ranges. The killer for me was the feeding problem it had. It was flat terrible. I bought the rifle for coyote calling and there was no way it would have worked for that application for me. It certainly didnt put my trusty 220 swift on the back shelf by any means. I would never own another wssm.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hvyw8t,

Morning!

I would have to totally agree with your opinion of the WSSM. The loads you were getting with the 50 gr pills was a bit higher then I have seen but again, like I said, I have yet to fully test the round and I know you know your way around the loading bench so your opinion so far is the most substantial I have gotten on the 223 WSSM so far.

The feeding problems were the reasons I wnet away from the WSSM idea in a repeating rifle and went with the 22-244 AI in the hopes of matching its performance with smooth feeding.

It is true the AI configured case can cause some minor hang-ups while feeding but nothing like the WSSM.

Also, I wanted to get away from the rimmed 220 Swift. I know alot of rifles feed this round fine but if your in a hurry to reload and get one rim behind the one under it, things get tight in a hurry.

THis brought me to the 22-244 AI. SLightly more performance then the 220 Swift AI with much better feeding characteristics.

I do feel the WSSM has a very useful place in the firearms world though. That would be in a single shot configuration. SUch as a big single shot varmint rifle or handguns like the XP-100 and Savage Strike where feeding problems do not exist.

In these firearms, I would perfer to sharpen the shoulder to at least 35 degrees to prevent case stretching. Also, for use in the XP-100, I could not recommend any WSSM of caliber smaller then 25 simply because they would not be efficient enough to choose it over the like of a 243 Win in a 15" barrel. Still the 25, 6.5 and even 7mm WSSM coul dbe very useful.

I have been kicking around the idea of having a 7mm WSSM reamer made so that I could rechamber the 7mm BR's in the XP-100 without having to rebarrel because of the abruptly tapered barrel contour. This would easily give 7mm-08 performance still using the factory barrel to save the customer some money. It would also keep the original lines of the 7mm BR handgun.

Good Shooting, let me know how those heavies run out of your new rifle. I printed your targets and they are hanging on display in the shop. Could you sent a pic of you with your rifle so I could hang it up on the board as well?

one of us
posted Hide Post
THose 2 WSSM's sure have got some bad reviews-- but like u say i also belive their best application would be in a spec. pistol or single shot. That's why i'm chambering the Striker in the .243 WSSM. I'm sincerely hoping the 87 V-Max will deliver some good performance, or maybe some 100 grainer to long-range-- we'll see. Somebody mentioned the .277 110 V-Max has the same .4 BC that the 87 has, but i'checked that a little while ago and it's actually .37, which still puts the 87 as the highest BC "varmint" style bullet made. I'm hoping this bullet delivers good LR terminal ballistics for me-- we'll see once Savage gets things straightened out with their WSM Striker production. If not i'll be trying something else with a decent BC of some sort, in an effort to see just how far i can get consistent terminal performance on coyotes from a handgun.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You ever think of trying the .220 Howell ?

Should be about the same capacity as the 6mm improved case , but you wouldn't have to fireform the brass ....

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sdgunslinger,

I have talked with Mr. Howell several times about his big 22 and youare right, basically they are ballsitic twins.

The way I shoot though, I fireform every round of brass I use anyway, weither its a standard round or a wildcat for the simple fact that this process provides basically perfectly fitted brass to the chambers I cut and accuracy always improves with fireformed cases.

For this reason I chose the 22-6mm AI. The Howell is actually harder to form as cases need to be shortened and such. With the 22-6mm AI, I simply run a 6mm brass through the 22-6mm AI FL die, load and shoot.

Do not get me wrong though, the Howell is a great round ans it does what it was designed to do, just as the 22-6mm AI does.

Good Shooting!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry 50-- i meant to type how do u think the 22-6mm's would stack up against the .223 WSSM?

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote