New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which electronic caller???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which electronic varmit call do you recommend?
I want one with a remote that works.
Thanks for your help.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
think you'll most guys like the foxpro. i had a western rivers - didn't last a year

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The CompuCaller III from www.burnhambrothers.com is a terrific unit that is state-of-the-art, versatile and easy to use.

The Fox Pro series of callers is excellent as well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am also going to buy a caller. But I am going to wait until this fall. According to the guys on the Varmint Hunter Forum there is suppose to be a new one coming out in a couple of months that will have a remote that actually works at longer distances. The consensus on VHF is that there is not a good one available today with a good long distance remote. I forget the name of the new one coming out, but I will get it later. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHC_TX,

I have had two Johnny Stewart callers. The first was using cassettes and was wired. The second was electronic and wired.
The third, I have had my best luck with is the foxpro fx-3. It comes with 31 programmed calls. I bought it from allpredatorcalls.com. Great folks, great service and very knowledgeable. I paid $479 when I bought it. It came with 31 calls about which I consulted with their representative before they loaded them. I believe the price is $399 now. I have had my best luck with jackrabbit distress calls. I'll call for about 5 minutes and if nothing comes in, I swithch to another call. I typically set it out 30 to 50 yds from where I will be sitting. I use it in conjunction with a quiver rabbit or a edge woodpecker. I have called in three coyotes and 10 fox in six or so outings. I have shot one coyote and 8 fox and missed one fox. The predators are so intent on the call or the motion decoy they pay no attention to you. A coyote will try to get your wind but if you set up with the wind blowing crosswise and you have reasonably good visibility you should see him way before he sees you. Everything I have shot has been less that 80 yds away and most within 15 to 40 yds. The varmints never new I was there or what hit them. Take stock of the type of hunting you will be doing but I really do not know why you would need to set it out a 100 to 200 yds. Bring 'em in close and ya' don't miss near as often. You can buy both less and more expensive calls but I am very happy with mine.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GWB that sounds like some exciting hunting. I posted earlier because of the remote. I am a handicapped hunter and it is impossible for me to "get hidden". That is why I need a remote to hunt at longer distances(200 to 300 yards). But what you have done there sure looks like fun.

Please expound on what cartrdge you used. And what kind of pelt damage you had. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Head0001,

take my word for it, you really don't need to be more than 40 to 50 yds away. I sometime go out after having worked and sweated in 90+ degree heat, and smoked a couple of cigars. I will wear a pair of green pants and a camo short sleeve shirt. I'll sometime sit in a yellow lawn chair. I'll set next to a tree or behind a low bush. As long as you can get set up in a likely area and are reasonably still they don't know you are there. Being hidden is not near as important as being still. They are so intent on getting a meal they are 100% focused on the call and decoy. I shot four fox a couple of weeks ago while sitting in a ground blind.
The closest was 15 yds away. I did not have my rifle in position as I had only been calling about a minute or so. He appeared about 15 yds out to my right. I had to pick up my rifle, lay it out the window on the blind, snick off the safety and draw a bead. This took about 15 to 20 seconds. The fox was frozen stiff, not moving a muscle, watching the call.
I am not advocating that you buy an expensive call, you can get an inexpensive remote call that has a rabbit distress and a woodpecker distress for $40 or less. The quiver rabbit is about $20 and runs on two double a batteries.
I love varmint hunting and it can be done year around. Good luck and pm me if you would like more info.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GWB: that sounds like a lot of fun. Below is a picture of my Varmint hunting rig. It is the only way I can get into and out of hunting areas. That is why I wanted the longer range remote.

The name of the caller that is coming out is "The Fury", and it is suppose to have long range remote capability with the "TX500 Remote".

When I ground hog hunt I normally only set up in one spot for the evenibg. What I was planning on doing was setting up the call a couple of hundred yards away. Then when the hunting was slow I was going to try and call a bit. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I don't own one but have hunted with my friend who has a Fox Pro III and think it works great. FWIW, we have found it to meet or exceed our expectations. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Head0001,
another platitiude... ya' know what they say about assuming, it makes an ass out of you and me. However, after looking at the picture of your equipment, it would appear that you like to invest in quality. I do not think you can go wrong with a good foxpro caller. There are several other higher end callers on the market you might want to look at also. Varmint hunting/calling is, to my understanding, one of the quickest growing segments of the sport. The quality of products these days are far superior to what was on the market 10 years ago. You might do a google search on "varmint calls". Like I posted before, I was very happy with my dealings with the folks at Allpredatorcalls.com. They also sell the minaska brand as well as several others.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I keep going back to your desire to put your call out 200 yds. From my experience both predator and prey animals are not necessarily spooked by the sound of gunfire, rather it is motion that catches their attention or alarms them. It would appear from your photo that the area is wide open. That may or may not be the case, but if you could locate youself next to a fence or a large round bale of hay, an old barn a copse of tree or brush, drape some camo burlap around the side of your buggy, I think you would be OK. Also from my experience the reception between the transmitter and receiver is, for lack of a better term, "line of sight". You will need a clear unobstructed view of the call. you do not want to put it behind a bush or in a gulley or depression.

Just one more observation to illustrate my line of thought. The last stand I made I observed six fox during 37 minutes of calling. It was a full moon. I started my calling sequence at 7:57 pm. I had rode up on a four wheeler. I turned left off the road to go about 50 yds closer to a cistern to put out some hog bait. I then rode back another 120 yds or so, which would put me about 20 yds past my ground blind and parked next to a pile of brush. I got my gear out and made two 20 yd trips to the ground blind to stash my gear and rifles. Mae considerable noise. Once I got setteled I did not wait any length of time for things to settle as it was soon to be dark. Like I said I started my calling sequence at 7:57pm. I generally time my sequences and make mental notes. Within two minutes of calling a fox came in from behind and to the right of me. I shot him. I did not get out of the blind but kept calling, less tha 10 minutes later a second came out. I shot him. This one did not drop at the shot but ran back inthe direction he had come about 20 yds. About 5 or ten minutes another fox came out to where the second fox lay, took a smell and started trotting off. I took a running shot, missed and another that I had not seen started running off too. By this time I had made four shots in less than 20 minutes. I thought about packing it in but I said to myself, I do not have time to make another stand. I'll just sit here and call some more. In the next 10 minutes I shot two more fox that came in sepeately. So I shot five times in 37 minutes. Each time the previous noise and commotion had not mattered to the next predator that came in. His desire to eat combined with the distress call overpowered his caution, or at least thats how I see it.
Do your homework, buy yourself a good call and get out there and smack some more varmints.
GWB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank's for all the good information. I have kinda been looking at the FoxPro electronic callers. I like the fact that they are made in the USA and they seem to have a good gurantee. What is the differance between the FoxPro 3 and 5, besides price?

Tom,
Glad to see you out there enjoying God's country. We all face challenges of one kind or another and I'm glad your's haven't slowed you down.

GWB,
If you aren't careful FoxPro will have you doing their advertising for them....with picture's/results like that!!!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Good advice so far. You might want to find ol' Bob in Texas and get his views.

I believe he also uses Fox Pro.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep it is wide open. And it is a "Hoot to shoot". Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

One of Us
Picture of laredo kid
posted Hide Post
Head0001- nice rig!!!!!!!!!!! Tell us more !!!

Posts: 159 | Location: Pasadena Texas | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
laredo kid,

pasa get down dena,
where the grass is greener and so is the air.

I'll be heading east down Spencer Hwy towards La Porte in about an hour from now. Gotta go pick up rent at one of my trailer parks.
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FoxPro is the top dog in sales and make a good caller. I have had all the better E-callers made and use a WT2030. When the new wears off the FP Fury I'll buy one and see what it's made of.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of laredo kid
posted Hide Post
Geedubya, next time your in "Pasadena" swing down Pasadena Blvd. and stop at "Bay Area" -I will buy you a cup of jsva!

Posts: 159 | Location: Pasadena Texas | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LK,

as in Robbie at BADP.

GWB

One of Us
Picture of laredo kid
posted Hide Post
You got that right "BRUTHA"!!!!!!! Are you and Jaime going to shoot any more "low fence trophy bucks ???????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LK
we're going to both concan and vanderpool this weekend. I expect that the "mexican will be whistling" and that numerous shots (of tequila that is) will be taken. Gonna' try to do a little varmint calling and pop a couple of porkers. Be back tuesday. I'll stop by next week
GWB

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Geedubya:
MHC_TX,

The third, I have had my best luck with is the foxpro fx-3. It comes with 31 programmed calls. I bought it from allpredatorcalls.com. Great folks, great service and very knowledgeable. [QUOTE]

As GW said, you can't go wrong w/Foxpro or allpredator.com. (AP currently taking orders for their new (free) fall catalog)

The TX200 remote which comes w/FX5 is great!
Had my FX3 upgraded just to get this remote and it was worth the extra money. Longer range and the programmable 4 preset sounds plus volume indicator on remote are the berries!

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote