New
Find
Notify
Tools

.204 Ruger reloading
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do any of the reloading manuals have this caliber yet??

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
http://www.rugerhunting.com has consolidated alot of the manufatures data.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This doesn't relate to your question directly but migyt be useful to know. The other two rounds based on the .204 Case have a reputation for being a bit finicky being the .222Rem. Mag. and the 6x47. It was the third year before my .222Rem. Mag. started printing decent groups.
Since then I've been delighted with it, but patience and experimentation was really called for. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal Sibley: I am not going to "officially" disagree with you on the 222 Magnum and the 6x47 being "finicky" accuracy wise - because I have only owned and shot one of each caliber.
But both my Rifles in 222 Remington Magnum and 6x47 were easy to find accurate loads for - according to my loading log.
My 6x47 is a Remington 40XB-BRKS and has a Leupold 36X scope on it so by "definition" it was easy to get accuracy from. And the other Rifle in question is a custom stocked Sako L-46 with 24" heavy barrel with a Unertl BV-20 (20x) scope. It was also easily made by me to be accurate. I have only tried a very few different bullets in both these Rifles also. So maybe other bullets are not so kind as the ones I wanted to use and did use in each. They worked and I quit load testing and went Varminting with both of them.
Have you had other Rifles in the questioned calibers that were finicky also?
I gots to know!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Data and "finickiness" aside, I've got some questions on mechanics if I were to attempt to reload for a .204. My Redding powder measure would dump powder all over the floor if the case mouth is only .220" outside diameter or so, so how do you alter such a powder measure to accomodate the smaller case mouth? Same for powder funnel?

I suppose the same issues exist for loading .17's, but I've never been tempted to buy one of those.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stoney,

There are powder funnels available for use on .17 caliber cases; one ought to work fine for the .204 Ruger. My guess is someone will come out with drop tubes for the subcalibers sooner ot later.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek: I have the red Hornady set of drop tubes and replacable "spouts" (for lack of a better word or name for these) for my powder funnel. I use the "spout" for the 17 caliber cases on my 204 cases and it works fine. I would like to find a 20 caliber "funnel" or "spout" for my Hornady set but have not seen any.
The 17 "spout" works pretty well. One needs to tap the funnel and make sure it is not plugged up with "bridged" powder flakes each loading. But other than that it only takes a second longer for dropping each charge into the case and thats not to big a problem.
Long live the 204!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just use an RCBS 17 cal. funnel over my my 204 cases whilst I drop the powder , and sometimes you do need to tap the funnel a bit .

It is really nice to use a ball powder or something really fine grained like H322 in these little necked cases . Anyone using coarse stuff like 4064 must have the patience of Job .

On the finniky issue , my .204 certainly isn't . It shoots as well as I can hold with any reasonable
powder charge and the three different bullets I have tried. It was super easy to come up with a couple pet loads to take to the field .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it would appear to me that powder bridging with stick powders would be a bit of an issue with the .204, but there are a lot of excellent ball powders and small granualtion stick powders like the VV and RL lines that should do well in the .204.

I suppose that the challenge of getting oversized powder granules into small case mouths is just part of the game: I used to spend what seemed like hours charging .264's with H570 -- a powder whose granules seemed to be roughly the size of grains of rice. I even drilled out the spout of a plastic Flambeau powder funnel with a 17/64ths bit in order to speed powder transfer slightly!

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Data and "finickiness" aside, I've got some questions on mechanics if I were to attempt to reload for a .204.

You can get some 20 cal funnels fairly cheaply. I bought a set of funnels with extra drop for $10 at Gander Mountain early this summer. Since I wiegh all my charges, I use a "dummy" round to drop powder into and then use the funnel to actually load the case.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Roy Richardson
posted Hide Post
Big GrinI use a Dillon RL550 to reload my .204 and they have a dump tube specifically for the .204, and I use BLC2 powder (a ball powder) to try and minimize the powder mess but I still get a few grains of it spilling. So nothing is perfect, LOL!

"Its shootin' time somewhere!

Posts: 22 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 02 April 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS powder measure, it has a 17-20 caliber adapter for it but it was somewhat pricey for a little piece of metal IIRC, like close to $10. I have Lee and RCBS funnels, and also the new pan with the built in funnel that sits on an electronic scale. Both funnels are too big, but the Lee fits the best and is not too much of a hassle to use. I was thinking about putting a ball of putty in there and pressing a case into it to better fit, but it isn't that much of a hassle to use as is.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For $10.00 or less you can get a set of the "red" MTM funnel and inserts with drop tube(I woonder if this isn't the set that VG is referring to) and those inserts will match up with a bunch of stuff!! And if you happen to go to the "SAUM's" there is an insert that works with them also!! A regular funnel won't! So with that little set you accomplish a bunch of stuff for a cheap price! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal,????????finickness of the 222MAG and 6x47??????? Two of the easist to load for chamberings I've ever messed with! The .204 hasn't even been all that bad! That's one reason I had to havve a .204 was because of the pleasantness and satisfaction that the 222MAG and 6x47 had delivered!!! I just figured based on that case it would follow the family! Not a "stir"!!! beer thumb But I have been know to recommend those two for ease of loading and performance. GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
there's info by the ballistician <sp> from western powders on the favorite loads forum.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before I found the .204 Ruger website I just called Sierra and Hornady. They sent me everything they had...which thus far was a lot to work with....for free. Both have great tech people who will also answer any questions you have regarding loading/ballistics/proper bullet selection.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for powder funnels, Satern makes very good aluminum funnels with brass ends on them that sit over the casing neck. Here is a photo of one of them.

I believe I purchased mine at Sinclair International. They are caliber specific and I bought one for my .17 Remington and one for my .204 Ruger reloading. Very nice product. They cost $10.25 each so they aren't cheap, but well worth the money IMHO. Here's a link to the Web page they are on at Sinclair Intl.Sinclair Web Page for Satern funnels

Catch ya L8R

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 500 pcs of new Win. 204 brass for sale.
Sold in 100 rd. bags only.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote