THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: 22LR Subsonic HP's VS Raccoon at 15 paces??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 22LR Subsonic HP's VS Raccoon at 15 paces??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted
I do a fair amount of coon hunting and have shot a lot of coons out of trees with a 22 pistol. I would say on average, it takes 3-4 shots through the body to kill a coon with a 22. I've found that head shots tend kill them immediately, not even a twitch. The coons up here get pretty big, especially this time of the year when they're fattening up for Winter (my biggest is 42 pounds). Because of the amount of fat on them, I've found that high velocity solids like the Remington Viper work better than hollow points. That's my two cents worth...

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coons are tough to kill. I've killed a passel of 'em with a .22 LR though.

It often takes 5 or 6 shots to knock one out of a tree. I've often found 3 or 4 of my bullets in the skull of a coon I though I was missing because it wasn't dying. Solids are really no better than hollow points. I get the best results with high velocity hollow points. Also, for a quick kill, I aim right at the base of the skull or in the throat if I'm shooting up at them from below. It seems to kill them much quicker than a frontal between the eyes shot.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote