New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deal On CCI 17 HMR Ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just returned from a gunshop/pawnshop/sportshop prowl in Butte, Montana. There was a sport shop there that was selling 17 HMR CCI ammo for $6.99 a box! No tax! No limit! I should have bought some and used it as trading stock for the Remington ammo my Rifle prefers.
Also one sport shop owner had received ONE box of Federal 17 HMR ammo and was fixing to chronograph it. I should have asked if in fact Federal had produced the ammo or if it was just more Hornady stuff repackaged?
I have a pretty good supply of the Remington ammo right now (about 15 boxes) but I have the hots for a Smith & Wesson revolver (all stainless Model 647 with 8 3/8" barrel) in 17 HMR for the close in Varmints next spring! I will gear this rig up with a scope and mortify those close in Varmints that I never shoot at with my Rifles!
I CAN"T WAIT!
So I better get about 15 more boxes of the 17 HMR ammo stocked in before spring!
I just love my Ruger 77/17V!
I must be sick, already planning for the spring Safaris on Colony Varmints - sheesh!
One problem is the S&W revolver is priced right at $500.00! Not including scope,rings and mounts.
Its only money - right?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't Federal part of the CCI/Speer conglomerate? If so, then I would assume the Federal ammo is CCI "TNT" "repackaged".

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, the Fed ammo I examined is loaded with the same CCI hollow point bullet that I don't like.

I see the same thing up here - the Hornady & Rem fly off the shelves and the CCI just sits. And sits. No wonder it was cheap!

VG - buy that little wheelgun! Like someone smarter'n me once said, "You're only middle-aged once!" I've taken it as a mantra, myself. [Big Grin]

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal is making 2 types, both called "Federal Premium V-Shok" ones got a TNT, the others a V-Max with a black tip. So it would seem there are 5 kinds out there that are actually color and name variations of the same old two. Shed Horn Sports in Ennis has all of em. As I've got a large supply of Hornady (my CZ's favorite) I've only grabbed 2 boxes each of the others to test when the weather breaks. At least they've caught up to demand, nice to hear about $6.99 in Butte, bodes well for the future.

VarmintGuy, I just read the gun test on that Smith, looks like a pip. He said it was the most accurate hand gun he'd ever shot.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

[ 12-02-2003, 08:32: Message edited by: montdoug ]

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, Don't even buy the CCI to try to trade! Nobody in their right mind would allow you over 2.00/box on a trade! [Big Grin] Just get you some more Hornady! I just got a Midway Frequent Buyer flyer on Saturday and they have the Hornady for 8.99 and also a special price for 2000(4 bricks). I can't remember that price(I'm in PA and the flyer is at home in VA) but it seems that supply has finally caught up with demand! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mulerider: I am not sure about the corporate tentacles and umbrellas anymore. I have always had real good luck with Federal brass and Federal 22 ammunition. I use a lot of it and have not seen a deterioration of Federal stuff over the years.

Redial: I like your attitude! I think I am gonna get on the "enjoy to the max your middle age" bandwagon - right behind you.
Yeah I am gonna be enjoying the next several years to the fullest extent I can. I was lucky enough to retire at 49 years of age and the past seven years of retirement have really been the topping on my cake of life! So to say.
I will be wheeling and dealing and trading and scheming over the next couple weeks to bring the S&W 647 into a good home environment! Mine.

Montdoug: I keep forgetting there are other folks in Montana that have computers besides me. The sport shop with the sale on is Fran Johnsons on the main drag there in Butte (Harrison street in case anyone wants to know). I just love the Shedhorn Sports Shop there in Ennis! I have bought a couple of nifty Rifles from them. One was a Sako bolt action in 6mm PPC. Its a single shot and came with a 24X Leupold scope. The setup came with a bunch of unfired brass, two full sets of unset 6mm PPC dies (Redding and Wilson sets). I got a great deal on it and the Rifle shoots incredibly well! I will use it on Colony Varmints this spring. The Shedhorn people also do a lot of the Gunshows in Montana and they really wheel and deal. I was lugging around a couple of Rifles I was selling for the neighbor widow last year at the Bozeman Gunshow and the owner of Shedhorn Sports had several tables set up and bought both the widows Rifles for very pleasing prices! Nice people to deal with. Thanks for the info and the heads up on the S&W 647 write up/test! That justs seals that deal - I will have one and the Gophers had better learn to moonwalk by spring or I will be whackin'em pretty steady.

Groundhog devastation: Thanks for the heads up on the special pricing I will look into it ASAP. Yes thankfully the price and availability of 17 HMR ammo is becoming more pleasing for the consumers! I hope you are back home by Christmas!

By the way all - let me inquire this on this forum and if I do not get many responses or a definitive answer I will go to the political forum for info. Are we stil mad at the S&W company - and by we I mean pro-second amendment types. I think the S&W company has re-sold since their last flap with gunowners? Any thoughts or reminders for me before I buy a NEW S&W. I had quit buying new S&W stuff for several years but like I say I think the ownership has recently changed. Appreciate any input.
Heading for town and doing the local gun/pawn shops.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy--I bet that 6 PPC was rebarreled with a Schneider by Dan Dowling of Colorado.

Hey I am gonna be hunting elk the weekend of the Boze gun show but I could meet all for a cup of coffee at the Bozeman gun show on Sunday after church........

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Mulerider: I am not sure about the corporate tentacles and umbrellas anymore. I have always had real good luck with Federal brass and Federal 22 ammunition. I use a lot of it and have not seen a deterioration of Federal stuff over the years."

If anything, Federal is moving forward from days gone by. I am old enough to remember when Federal ammo was truly "second class", but now they compete with best. And it may have been due to being absorbed into a larger company (more resources, newer thinking). Only recent disappointment was my Gold Medal 223 brass has proven rather "soft", and reasonable loads loosen the primer pockets quickly. I had heard that from HighPower competitors, and it proved true.

I think the S&W issue is now a positive one, as the Brits are history, and the Arizona outfit (their name escapes me) is doing good things with the company.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark R. Dobrenski: I already have table reservations out in the Seattle area for their big show the 13th and 14th of December! I am making the week of it visiting all of my relatives in the area for Christmasy time and seeing all my old Gunshow friends at the big Puyallup, Washington Show! Sorry I will miss you. No this Sako Rifle was from an estate that had been long in being settled and finally made it to the shop all factory and unfired! The bolt face was perfect as was the whole Rifle/scope outfit. It might have been boresighted as it was not to far off when I bore sighted it but I am certain it was unfired and has the original barrel. Good luck at the Bozeman show!

Mulerider: Thanks for the info on S&W and the Federal ammo/components situation. I wish my memory was better but I know I have been using Federal 205 Match primers in EVERYTHING that uses small Rifle primers for going on 20 years now. They are a touch more expensive but I think well worth it. I long ago did some tests on various Small Rifle primers and have stuck with the Federal 205's ever since. The BR types also seem to prefer them.
I just brought online a Remington Sendero in caliber 270 Winchester. I put a Leupold 8.5x25x40mm scope on it and began gathering dies and components for it. I knew I wanted to shoot the Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic Tip and I had some Federal large Rifle match primers and lots of powder just no extra brass that I knew of. I got to digging around in my brass drawers and came up with 60 pieces of new Federal 270 Winchester brass in 20 round boxes. I had forgot I had this stuff and am sure I got it at a gunshow or garage sale some time back (red boxes marked Federal unprimed 270 Winchester brass). The first load I tested (after barrel break in with old handloads) gave three great groups of .611, .541" and .729" for 5 shots each at 100 yards in a 4-5 MPH crosswind. I loaded up the rest of the unfired brass with the first load and away Big Game Hunting I went. 3 Big Game Animals brought to bag with 4 shots this season! Thanks for the heads up on the soft 223 Federal stuff. I see it at the more sophisticated Gunshops in the large blue and white boxes and have been tempted to get some. I have been advised.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like this middle aged deal, however I don't see me makin 110 so I'm thinkin I'm passed it.

You guys make one of the Bozeman shows and I sure like Marks idea, heck do it in the spring and we'll smuck some gophers.

One last comment on Shed Horn Sports, they have about 6 or 7 Mod 57 Light Varmint Cooper .17 HMR's. Ones got a beautiful piece of wood, all are very nice. He will deal! A couple months ago he had a Anschutz Exemplar .22 Hornet pistol with a 2X6 Redfield scope on it in about 95 to 98 percent. About the second night I found my self laying awake thinking about it I called and made him an offer I was sure he'd refuse. I had a Ranch Rifle Ruger I picked up for about $225.00 ( lapped the lugs, bedded it, did the trigger, shot about 2 inch patterns and mangled brass, I HATED IT! )and a 84-F Berreta .380 pre ban 13 round mag's I'd paid $389.00 new for. All the Exemplars I could find on the web told me the piece was worth $900.00 to $1200.00, I said a straight trade figuring he'd counter and we'd have a deal. He thought for a second and said "Ok". Great guy to deal with! With that Exemplar by the way I shot the first .5 inch 100 yard 5 shoot group I've ever shot with a hand gun( thats after I changed to a 3X12 Burris B-Plex).

Big game's over, pray for spring.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montdoug: Great gun trading story there - good for you and congrats on taking the plunge for the Hornet pistol. I do admire you staying awake for just two nights and making your "snap" decison to "spring" for it! You are a man of steel! I have worryvated over particular Guns - losing sleep and driving off roads and daydreaming about them for weeks on end in the past trying to decide one way or the other on a particular deal!
I hope the Hornet performs well for you for a long time! And congrats on that amazing group!
I have always been a winter Coyote and Fox Hunting type (day and night Hunting!) and really relish the amazing loneliness and unbelievable beauty in some of our big remote valleys here in SW Montana. Yeah when I am out there trying to thaw a squealing rabbit call in my armpits when its 10 below zero you really know you are "driven"! Some of my favorite valleys come winter time are the Big Hole, the Ruby, The Centennial and all the little secret ones I know of and I know just where to park the VarmintMobile and hike 200 yards to a prescouted ridge and call into the next drainage! Aaahhh I think I am going to swoon!
Yes I look forward to spring but I do not want winter to speed by to fast!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah VarmintGuy I am definitely impulse challenged, I am looking forward to some calling, however unusual circumstances left me with a new CZ.223, a Tactical .20 Remington conversion and that Hornet. All of this happened just before big game opener, I'm afraid it's going to take a busy gopher field or p-dog town to put this all in place. As much as I'm into instant gratification it's been a long time since I've had this many new toys all at once. Perfectly understandable I assure you, I sent the Varmint Synthetic Rem .223 off to Pac-Nor to become a Tact.20, I went to Shed Horn to get a .223 to replace it and got the CZ, while there I saw the Exemplar. It all sounds reasonable to me. I'm very fortunate to have an understanding wife. The last one had no sense of humor at all and it cost me 55 acres in Clinton a house and a bunch of horses to move on, she threw in my freedom however and it was the best trade I ever made [Big Grin] .---Shoot Safe---montdoug