New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off to Montana/// Now back
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Off to montana to tomorrow for 3.5 days of p dog shooting. Talked to my contacts he says it looks good. Just taking abreak from packing should be ready to go shortly. My 223,22-250 and 243 are calling will give report when I get back jumping

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Give 'em hell!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah I am trying like hell to fit in some time to go before the month is over...

I'd rather go shoot prairie dogs than deer hunt any more...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Pdog have a blast blasting the Pdog's!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from montana. Had fair shooting a couple of ranch's would not let us hunt because of fire danger can not blame them it was very dry. But they did get rain last night. We had temps in the 90's thur and sat. 103 on friday.

A couple of ranch's the dogs got the plague and wiped them out. We did shoot dogs every day but not in the numbers we have seen in the past.

Made a couple of new contacts that should prove to be helpful next time.

All in all a good time

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P dog shooter: I am glad you got some shooting in! I wish conditions and the Hunting would have been better for you!
I do hope you got some doubles and some long shots and some Badgers and Coyotes to make up for the heat and the plagued out Prairie Dog Towns!
I Hunted for many many years on a secret spot that was absolutely annihilated by the plague! I was heart-broken! No one but I knew of these secret towns hidden in the rolling hills! I was so dejected.
It took several years for the hidden towns to come back but they did.
It is amazing how completely and how quickly the plague can wipe out even large towns!
I was searching for survivors in one of the towns that had plagued out and came across the skeleton of a very large Bobcat! I stood above that carcass and took its picture but I lost the argument with myself whether or not to bag up the skull and take it home and boil it out! Finally I left it there on the prairie. I was ware of a taxidermist who had been brought a Bobcat that had been poached in the same area. The taxidermist was IN Wyoming and he died two days after he skinned that cat! The resulting investigation turned up the facts that the cat had come from the area I was Hunting (Bobcat season was closed there!) and the poachers had taken it to the taxidermist. His death came VERY fast!
I always spray my boots and pant legs with flea and tick killer when Hunting Prairie Dogs!
Many old time ranchers and trappers tell of the plague wiping out the towns 60+ years ago. This is not a new phenomenon.
Good luck next year on the new leads!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote