Find
Notify
Tools

Any good places in N.M.?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted
I have to go to New Mexico for a few months this summer. This means I will have to let the western Nebraska Pdogs live for a while (should make Ted Turner happy), and was wondering if there are any good areas in New Mexico for varmit hunting. A few of the guys I am going down with are also into shooting, and we were thinking it would be a good way to spend a weekend.

Thanks guys,
Jack

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess that all depends on what part of NM you are coming to. NM is covered up with public land but in order to hunt it you'll need to buy a licence. Look at www.gmfsh.state.nm.us this is the official website of NM dept of game and fish. Should tell you what you need to know about public land and licensure and if you cant find what you need, there should be a phone number you can call to talk to someone. Whether the person you talk to will know anything or not, well, thats the chance you take.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Charlie>
posted
Can't speak from experience but have heard the area around Tatum, NM has prairie dogs. I have shot in northeastern New Mexico, private land, not very close to anything but sort of west-north-west of Amarillo, TX, just inside the NM border. Good shooting and friendly folks there.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with Charlie, there. The eastern border area of NM has lots of pds. Ask at local ranches, feed stores, and county extension agents (if you can find them). Most ranchers have been quite hospitable, if you act quiet and nice.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys! Because of the industry I work in, we have a number of contacts with the local cattle farmers.

Well, that means I have to get to loading and figure out how much ammo I can get down to N.M.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jack, where are you going to be in NM?

harveyasmith@aol.com

Posts: 3 | Location: Leander, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I will be in the Portales/Clovis area. The company I work for manages ethanol plants around the world, and we are doing a major project at a plant in Portales. I have been there a few times, but this will be for a few months.

Never spent a long time in the desert, and I am looking forward to it. Hotter than Nebraska, but I doubt there will be 90% humidity!

<MRMD>
posted
You'll like the climate. Nice and dry and hot. Also, talk to some of the land owners across the state line in Texas. There are some prairie dogs around little towns like Friona and Muleshoe.

Also, there are coyotes all over that country. Most ranchers would love for you to exterminate a few.

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Got in to Clovis Monday. It has been raining for the last three days, and the whole desert it green! We are trying to find a place to keep our rifles for the next time we head down.

You guys were right about the humidity. Nice and dry even with the rain. Went for walk the other day at the park north of Clovis and saw a few towns. Doubt they would let us shoot in the park!

Well, thanks for your guys help. I will be looking into finding some places out here.

Jack