Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-308 @ Malta MT PD Shoot.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted
This year's PD shoot at the Belnap Reservation was a huge success. We had many opportunities from 45 to 650 yards.

A lot of fun was had by all except a few nameless Prairie Dogs.

The weather was very hot, and thourougly enjoyed by everyone connected.

-

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Howdy from the other side of the Divide!

Judging by the caliber and the iron sight mounts, I'm guessing yours is also a prone gun? Is that a US Optics scope? Kewl setup!

Glad to hear someone's getting some time afield, laying waste to the prairie carp.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Yes, true on all counts. Load is 41.5 H4895, F210M, 100 gr. Sierra HP, Remington .260 Brass. (MV=3200) Very effective on PDs to 550 yards and accurate.

Stopped in your city to visit the C.M. Russel Museum (incredible) and had dinner at a Restaurant on the River there. Very hot there that day! [Smile]

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
<CatShooter>
posted
DMCI...

Who makes that shooting bench??

CatShooter

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Varmintmasters and I highly endorse the things. We had two in my Suburban. They work really well!

Click on: >>> http://www.varmintmasters.net/

-

[ 07-21-2002, 01:19: Message edited by: DMCI* ]

<CatShooter>
posted
Thanks...

CatShooter

[ 07-21-2002, 04:17: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
DMCI: I have a couple of questions in regard to your great posting and pictures. First: what is the difference in the 6.5X308 and the 260 Remington? The reason I ask this question is I just bought a virtually new Remington 700 VLS in 260 Remington and I am new to that bore size and Varminting! I am waiting on dies to get started loading for the VLS Reminton. I take it you recommend the 100 grain Sierra bullet? My concern is ricochets - does the Sierra bullet breakup on contact with the ground or have you noticed any "skipping" across the prairie? Secondly about that great looking shooting bench: price range please.
Thanks in advance for any info and thanks for the great posting.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

[ 09-07-2002, 23:36: Message edited by: VarmintGuy ]

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I think I can answer that last question [Big Grin] ...

The 6.5/308 is a .308 Winchester case necked down to 6.5, or 26 caliber, and is used primarily by folks who own and shoot Winchester or Winchester based rifles. These folks don't like Remingtons.

The .260 Remington is a .308 Winchester case necked down to a 6.5, or 26 caliber, and is used primarily by folks who own and shoot Remington or Remington based rifles. These folks don't like Winchesters.

Right, DMCI? [Big Grin]

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan: Thanks for that - I was just wondering if the 6.5/308 had a special body taper or shoulder angle or was otherwise improved somehow over the 260 Remington.
And I found the link for VarmintMasters and the price was $545.00 for the bench before shipping.
I would still like to hear any comments on the 100 grain Sierras before I buy a box.
Thanks
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

[ 09-08-2002, 02:09: Message edited by: VarmintGuy ]

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the 100 gr. Sierra HP, but you may want to take a look at the 90 gr. Speer TNT & the Hornady 95 gr. V-Max. Both of these bullets are rather fragile, and should minnimize riccochets.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Nice try Dan!

However, a short break for the real facts! [Smile]

The 6.5x.308 is an old wildcat where in the 7-08 was necked down to 6.5 (at least in my case.)

About a year after my 6.5-308 was delivered Remington converted the cartridge from a true wildcat into a factory round known as the .260 Remington.

There is by the way a 6.5-.308 AI which is an excellent wildcat, that performs really well.

The Havre Montana Hunt that I often attend is a by invitation only excercise known as the Prairie Dog Conference. It is attended by Nationally known gun writers and a number of "registered shooters". The event is also sponsored by shooting equipment manufacturers.

There is a limited bullet weight of 100 grains by the organizers. I tried the nosler and the sierra bullets. My rifle seemed to like the latter better.

There was ricochets on the first day coming from those shooting .223 55 grain loads. The .260 with the bullets at mv 3250 fps, I don't seem to have trouble with this.

The bench costs a little over $500 as I recall.

-

[ 09-14-2002, 17:46: Message edited by: DMCI* ]