THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    .204 Ruger......Ruger vs. Remington

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.204 Ruger......Ruger vs. Remington
 Login/Join

posted
I really enjoy reading all the topics in this area of shooting but don't really post. I'm compelled to ask a question now. I've got a Ruger heavy barrel laminated 204 that I really like. It shoots the factory 40gr. V-max bullets really well.(less than 1/2" groups @100yds) The 32gr. bullets aren't near as good. I worked up a few loads with the 40gr. bullets,H-4895 @ .015 of the lands and even improved on my groups. What's funny is that those factory 40gr. loads were .140" off the lands? I thought that was quite a distance to shoot that well. The other loads I worked up @ .025" and .020" off the lands of the gun shot real poor.
I picked up this evening the Rem 700 LVS .204. I read that a few of you guys like this rifle. All my varmit rifles are of the heavy barrel and 26" long. This rifle seemed "real odd". The barrel isn't even free floating like my Ruger is. The barrel is touching the stock near the end of it? When they say "light", they aren't kidding. It's real pretty though! I can't wait to see how it shoots this weekend compared to the Ruger. I'm curious what you people think of the Remington gun vs. the Ruger. I really like the Ruger so far.

Posts: 25 | Location: S.Central Kansas | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like my ADL 204, but the only drawback is that I can't load my cartridges any closer than 60 thousandths to the lands due to the length of the magazine. If yours allows you to, will you let me know please? My 204 shoots consistent 4 tenths groups at 100yds. I can't seem to get the velocities that were advertised, but I'm in the process of test AA2230 which is getting alot of attention by other members of this board, for reaching those advertised velocities. Before I even shot this rifle I bedded the barrel channel, to stiffen it up, free floated the barrel, then I bedded the action and lightened the trigger.

Posts: 53 | Location: Utah | Registered: 27 September 2004Reply With Quote