New
Find
Notify
Tools

songdog and 257wby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
While in a deerstand this morning about 7:30am this coyote came in fast, she ran across a small clearing into the bush. I whistled and she stopped for a 40-50 yard shot. I fired and she ran into some very thick stuff. The blood trail was 1 foot wide and about 20 yards long. The rifle is a weatherby vanguard in 257wby , 100grain hornady sp.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
A 257 Roy on coyotes at 50 yards? I'm surprised that you could pick it up without a shovel!
clap

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great kill. Next years fawn crop should thank you! Gotta love the 257 Weatherby.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot both fox and coyote with the 100gr, 25cal Hornady and unless contact is made with the spine or other major bones damage is quite minimal- I don't think there is enough tissue to trigger expansion to any great degree.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Also taken on Rug's farm during deer season, I think we need to do a little off season yote hunting. How'd these things get across the Mississippi anyway?

one of us
posted Hide Post
How'd these things get across the Mississippi anyway? Good question Paul. One thing for sure that one ain't going back . Good shot

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Keep up the good work... nice shot too!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote