New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako varmint rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any experience with the Sako 85 varmint rifle in 22-250? looking for a new ground squirrel rifle. Curious as to its accuracy and overall satisfaction of use. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Sako 75 Varmint in .222 Rem.
Very precise gun with 1/2 MOA accuracy out of the box.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a number of Sako HB varmint rifles, but all of them are the L-series from the 1960's-1970's. While the currently produced Sakos tend to lack the traditional style and hand-fitted feel of the older guns, I know of no reason that they would not be fully as accurate.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I agree I don't have any Sakos that don't shoot.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rholden,

Couple of thoughts,

I've owned at least 20 different Sako's over the last 15 years or so. Like Stonecreek, most were of older vintage. I've had 3 75's and 3 85's. I've also tweaked a couple for friends. Only two Sako's I couldn't get to shoot. Both were 338 federal chamberings in the 85 synthetic. Don't own them anymore. All the others would shoot an inch or better at 100 yds. with my loadings.
I currently have an 85 "varmint", with set trigger chambered in 260 Rem that will shoot just about anything you feed it under an inch at 100.

Now as to a 22-250 for ground squirrels. Although I am a gulf coast Texan and am ignorant of ground squirrels and their ways, it is my understanding that they are relatively small and can be very plentiful. Barrel heating is a significant factor when employing a 22-250. Something like a 22 mag, 22 hornet,or 221 fireball might be more the ticket.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote