THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Well, the new 22-250 is a success!!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, the new 22-250 is a success!!
 Login/Join

posted
I went out coyote calling this morning with a couple of buddies, and took my new Rem 788 22-250. On our second stand, this little female came in at 199 yards, and became my new rifle's first kill. I'm shooting Winchester psp 55 gr. bullets in it, and I guess it likes them pretty well. I called in 3 coyotes this morning, and we got shots at 2 of them. One of them escaped unscathed, but this one didn't. Anyhow here she is, wearing my new rifle.

Jerrod

Posts: 16 | Location: SW Oklahoma | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Looks like a lot of fun. Those 22-250's are just hard to beat for predator hunting. I have killed two coyotes and a bobcat with mine in the last week.

Keep after them!

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done, Jerrod. As I remember those old 788's were very accurate. And you just can't beat 55 grain bullets in a 22-250 for the larger varmints.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My God that's an ugly rifle, how can you stand owning it? I'll give you $50 for it right now. (You'll never get mine from me!)

Great job on the Yote.

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
$50 wouldn't even buy a good picture of that rifle!!! I've always been a real sucker for the 788's. I found a .243 in model 788 a couple of days ago. I'm gonna pick it up as well. I know the guy who has it, and he'd bought it for his grand-daughter to deer hunt with. Well, they moved to a state with shotgun-only deer hunting, so he ended up with it again. He said it's in perfect shape, and it's cheaper than the 22-250 was. I don't believe I'll pass that up.

Jerrod

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Jerrod,

Congrats on breaking in the new rifle. You will enjoy shooting the 788 in 22-250.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod, grab that 788 in .243. You can have it rebarreled with no other work needed into a .260, 7-08, or a .308. All very worthwhile cartridges.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington should never have stopped making that rifle. It sold well. I often wonder if it wasn't a victim
of its own success. It was inexpensive and a very accurate little bugger to boot. Now the rifles cost
us a bundle, and we spend as much as a model 788 cost just in gunsmith fees to make the new ones
shoot half decently. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
Good going Jerrod,What calls did you use to call her in?

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been starting all of my sets with a few howls from a Primos mini mag howler. Then I switch to a Primos cottontail screamer. About 45 seconds after I quit calling with the cottontail call, I saw her running through some piles of cotton burrs. She trotted out from behind the burrs, and I barked at her with my mouth to stop her. Kaboom!

We should've just sat still and stayed where we were for a while longer. Instead, we hopped in the pickup and drove down to where she was and loaded her up. When we drove back to the hill where we called from, there was another coyote standing right there where we had been sitting. Lesson learned!!

Jerrod

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Waaaaaaay Toooooo Goooooo" !!!!

That's the way to brake-in the barrel of any rifle,,,

Cheers,
MaBell

Posts: 79 | Location: Colorado (out in the sticks) | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have been working with a Winchester Model 70 that needed a new barrel on it, that was in 22/250. I redid it with a PacNor stainless steel, in a heavy sporter conture. I did go a little long on the barrel tho, 28 inches. However I like then that way. I have a Ruger VT and a Ruger Regular sporter in 22/250, so I just wanted to do the Winchester that long barrel, but not a bull barrel.

Now I just need to go out and break mine in on game like you did yours. At the range, it has been living up to the Pacnor reputation for accuracy. Half inch groups at 200 yrds if he banana pullling the trigger can hold it still enough.

A friend in Montana has a shot of 788 and after the luck I have had with my PacNor barrel, we are going to rebarrel his next.

788 look like crap, but they sure know how to carve out small groups.

Remington quit making them, I heard from a Remington rep, is that they actually were loosing money on them. Production costs were higher than expected. Be they wish the 710 had the following the 788 had.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote