Find
Notify
Tools

Scope on AR-15 handle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted
I am new to Coyote hunting and am trying to avoid purchasing another rifle. I have a Colt AR-15 with the handle, and am wondering if anyone has had any luck mounting a scope that will keep its zero. I have read many articles about bedding the mounting plate, but all mention that it may still shift around. I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dono I've had them mounted on a couple ar's for several years and they have'nt moved you do have to make sure its a decent mount and that the screw is tight, then shoot it some and retighten

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Pre-fit and make sure the mount can't be moved in any way when it is placed into the channel. I was able to adjust (bend) mine to fit the channel which solved the problem so far. If you can do it I would suggest bedding and as Butchloc says, keep the screw tight and you shouldn't have any problems.

Also, I am very careful when handling and transporting. Any whacks to that area and I am checking the zero with a round.

Thanks both of you for the info on the O/U.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I have used the Leupold mount on my shorty upper for going on 6 years now with a red dot sight and it has held zero just fine. I did tighten down with channel locks and loc-tite however....

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am using a cost effective (cheep) mount on my Clot carry handle to hold a TC 2X7 scope. It is good enough to consistantly hit woodchucks at 200 yards.
No records set with the rifle but fun none the less!!

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These mounts will work as other have described. I have found the sight picture to be a bit high but on a 223 it is not a big problem. Just check to make sure the mountis staying tight.

Another option is to swap out the upper reciever at a latter date to the A4 flat top.
Good luck and enjoy the AR for varmit hunting/nothing is more fun Big Grin gunsmile

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the IOR Valdada scopes with their rings and mount. Pretty slick and solid. Have mine with the 62 grain ballistic cam. Works allright on groundhogs.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mau Mau, here are some pictures of what use to be an A2 AR before tuning it into the "varmitsniper" clap I am thinking you could buy an A4 upper and sell your A2 and have less than 100.00 into the change and then you would have the perfect starting point to go from without having to buy another gun. From there it is just bolt on's till you get what you want, with the options being unlimited.
The only thing orignal on mine is the Colt A4 upper. It has a custom Diamond/Socom billett lower with jimmyd as the ser.number Big Grin. A Kreiger 24" match barrel with Kreiger matching bolt. Bus flip up rear sight and flip up Y-M front sight and the Talbot scope mounting system. which is cool as hell. Push the scope foward and lift up, returns to zero each and every time in seconds.

If you are interested in maybe swapping out your upper receiver, let me know and I will see if I can find you and A4

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your assistance. After talking with SWFA and Trijicon, I ordered the Trijicon ACOG TA31A scope. This scope was made specifically for the handle of the Colt AR-15, and was assured that it would not move. It has an illuminated triangle for day, and tritium for night. Now if I can only find some Coyote's. Again, thank you all for the help.

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mau Mau, wow!!!! talk about top of the line. You did well sir.
I have used a few of the ACOG's and they are great and will let you aquire your target very quickly for follow up shots.
Let us know how it works out for you and get to the hill, theres yotes waiting for ya Big Grin