THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: When to not shoot coyotes?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: When to not shoot coyotes?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If there were no coyotes here that would be fine with me. There is no closed season in the states that I hunt.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If there were no coyotes here that would be fine with me.

Why ?

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coyotes have only been common in the Northeast USA for a couple of decades. Now since they have spread all over we have no woodchucks, no cottontail rabbits and no ruffed grouse.

We are blaming the coyote for the loss of the woodchuck and the rabbits. They are also eating house pets. The grouse may be suffering for some other reason.

There is no good reason for having coyotes. We did not have them before and we don't want them now. I used to shoot a hundred woodchucks a year and this year I went out about thirty times for woodchucks and saw only one. I left that for seed and that disappeared too. I think a hunter shot that one but it's the only one out in a field I saw.

I shot one coyote in all those trips. They are 100% useless to me.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coyotes are very opportunistic preditors and will prey on many different species of animals, mostly field mice. The number of pups the female has is in direct relation to the available food supply. Should the mouse supply be low they will feed on anything they can catch including the family pet if it is a terrior or similar size domestic animal.

Urban Coyotes are one big problem that is on the rise in many area's of several states. They are very prolific feeders and much smarter than any fox. Two Coyotes will work as team to take down larger prey if the opportunity arises. It is also note worthy that no matter how hard they are hunted they still maintain a foothold and are almost impossible to eliminate from any area that produces game for them to eat. When hunting pressure rises they become totaly nocturnal, and are seldom seen during daylight hours.

The worst part, as the Coyote population rises, so does the chance of infectious disease to other animals because of the fleas they carry. It is best to elimintae Coyotes from the area as soon and as often as possible weather they have pups or not. Any over population of any species invites disease and certain death to many of that species including man.

The animal rights activists have blinders on and no clue in the relationship of animals and the available land mass they accupy. The perfect balance between land and animal is paramount for a balanced enviroment for all conscerned.

Posts: 64 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only time I don't shoot coyotes is when they're killing someones cats, then, and only then are they considered "good dogs".
Trigger

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote