New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 12BVSS reviews?
 Login/Join

<Armed in Utah>
posted
Mad.........tell us more about this FVSS 223, glass...trigger....stock....really kick ass groups from a cheap/ugly Savage, as the RemChester shooters call 'em. I've never used anything lighter than 55s in my 223s. As you can see from above posts, I'm a Savage shooter too. Got some fresh BLC2 for my s/shot BVSS 308 today. Its broke in and ready to kill some paper.....later.....Armed.......

[ 12-01-2003, 07:27: Message edited by: Armed in Utah ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
SSS Varmint/tactical stock, no glass, SAV-2 trigger, ZIA 52 grain benchrest bullets, Leupold BR-D 36X scope w/Tucker conversion.

Posts: 36 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really nice there Mad, I'm not familiar with that bullet, where'd you get em? Truly nice groups.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mad, seein' is believin'... click on that link and you will see 2 of them. UFOs don't exist but 3 shot groups sure do.

Ian

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was speaking from the perspective of a competitive benchrest shooter. No, I don't compete formally with a Savage but rather a Panda.
Groups in competition (or ones that really mean something) are 5 shot groups.
Whatever kind of groups you like to shoot is just fine with me. [Wink]
Good luck,
Mad`

one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew where you were coming from Mad, I was just pokin fun at ya [Razz] and I take offense that you insinuate that my groups are meaningless while your 5 shotters "mean something" [Big Grin] and how do you shoot Pandas for competition? I thought they were an endangered species!?! Don't let the enviro-geeks catch ya doing that. Their panties will wad right up.

Hehe, good luck in your competitions,
Ian

[ 12-02-2003, 06:24: Message edited by: 12FLVSS ]

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I just picked up my 12BVSS today. Nice rifle with a good heavy feel to it. Recoil should be nonexistant in the .223. Fit and finish is really nice but unfortunately i won't be able to shoot it until after Christmas [Frown] The AccuTrigger was set at a nice 2.5lbs from the factory so it needs no touching.

The only bad part was that the rifle came in with the smaller bolt handle and not the larger one that is always showed in the catalog and website. I called Savage and they said it wasn't supposed to come with the larger knob but I told them it was and that was the way it's pictured and they said they would send me one anyways. Very nice of them. Man this is going to be a long month.

Posts: 45 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world of very small groups Rob. Go to Wal-Mart and get some of the Winchester 45gr. varmint loads. They are the most accurate factory load for your rifle. But best of all they are on the top of the list of good reloadable brass.
Enjoy, Mad`

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, ROB01.......PM sent....

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
<Armed in Utah>
posted
Rob...the BT bolt handle gives the BV Savage a new feel, and you'll love it. If you have never changed or dissasembled your Savage bolt, there is a trick to it. The round cocking knob, must be held in place, while you slowly start the allen head bolt threads in. Start only one thread, then push cocking button/knob in place. Otherwise bolt will not lock into action....look closely at bolt before taking it apart.

[ 12-04-2003, 08:11: Message edited by: Armed in Utah ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. I was going to ask for some before doing it. I'm used to Remington bolts. Another question, is the little piece infront of the hammer supposed to float free back and forth about 1/4" or so? Seems to as it has a ball detent and a groove. Just wondering as like I said I'm not used to Savage bolts.

Posts: 45 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In response to the post about problems - I just recently purchased my 2nd Savage, a 112BVSS in .25/06 (with a 6-24X Sightron). I shot 2 different factory loads and about 5 different handloads through it - accuracy was not as expected w/ 1.25-1.75" groups. I also noticed some "marks" in the muzzle end of the barrel. I called Savage and told them that I thought my rifle's barrel had a problem. They immediately asked what kind of groups I was shooting. When I answered, the immediate response was "Send it to us." I called them after about 2 weeks, and they said the barrel had been replaced and the rifle was going to the testing range.

I received the rifle about a week later with a target - ~0.8" group, shot with a Simmons scope (noted on target). Since, I have only shot it 2-3 times - mostly break-in shooting and cleaning (side note: I was skeptical about "breaking in a barrel", but I did notice a big difference in effort to remove all copper after about 5 shots of 1 shot & clean). I started load testing with 120gr Sierra's and IMR4350 - best 5 shot group so far was less than 0.5".

So, I am still totally happy with Savage, their customer service is obviously outstanding.

After typing this, I really want to go to the range!

[ 12-05-2003, 23:42: Message edited by: TXRam ]

Posts: 178 | Location: Pearland, TX | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote