THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Fenced in prairie dogs - ethics

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fenced in prairie dogs - ethics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On the African and other Big Game forum areas there is a debate about the ethics of hunting (shooting) game in fenced-in areas. Sometimes the debate revolves around how large the fenced-in area is. Some say wooded areas of 1,000 acres will qualify as sport hunting and others say it must be 100,000 acres with no interior fences.

Currently scheduled to hunt prairie dogs on a 30,000 acre cattle ranch in Montana this summer.

What are the ethics of hunting prairie dogs in fenced-in areas ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surely you jest! Remember, they can dig out of any fence around, just going under! No sweat, no problem with ethics there, just whack 'em! Whack 'em some for me, I can't make it this year, and whack 'em some for yourself, just whack 'em!

Posts: 116 | Location: KY | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glenn,

In all my previous fifteen years of prairie dog hunting, have not concerned myself with the finer points of ethics.

Have used accurate rifles and inaccurate rifles, used pistols, used open iron sights and scopes, even used a 500 A-Square for a few shots. Shot 'em off-hand, with bipods, with a bench and sandbags. Shot 'em in the morning, midday, and evening. Shot 'em when they weren't looking and didn't stand a chance. Shot 'em at long range and chirping under a ten foot away bench while eating a sandwich.

But this ethics business is getting serious. So want to stay in the good graces of the important thinkers of the day.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't think there were any ethics in p dog shooting as long as you do it in a safe manner. All the ranches I hunt the ranchers tell you to kill them anyway you can.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fenced in prairie dogs is kinda like fenced in earthworms....probably isn't goin to happen unless the fence is buried in the ground about 8 feet. Lets see ethics and prairie dogs to me goes something like this.

close the friggin gate
pick up your trash
don't shoot anything you aren't supposed to
be safe
don't drive off the road unless you have been told directly its ok
leave everything the way you found or better(except the dogs of course)
always stop and ask permission....everytime

Thats the ethics I use....as far as actually shooting the dogs........kill 'em where they stand.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

In all my previous fifteen years of prairie dog hunting, have not concerned myself with the finer points of ethics

It IS man against rodent.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking just of the shooting of the little pests.

The other stuff is basic standing orders on a p dog hunt.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Hammer is having a tug at our legs.
Oh, don't forget Hammer, never shoot them while they're standing up. Only after they've done a back flip and all you can see is two beady little eyes peering over their mound.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Relax, I saw the tongue firmly planted in your cheek, and replied in kind, except for the part about not being able to go ratwhacking myself this year. I am seriously bummed about that! Oh well, gives me more time to load more ammo for next time. About the only ethics not mentioned, but covered anyway, was Ruark's notion of using enough gun, but you had that covered well, anyway. Cheers, and whack some rats for me, PLEASE!

Posts: 116 | Location: KY | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Were talking varmints here . . . VC . . . VARMINT CONG! It is kill or be killed.

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I enter the property I swing the gate wide open and yell: "I'm comming to shoot you varments and any of ya that don't want to stay have 15 min. to leave!" What could be more sporting than that?

Posts: 49 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was shooting PDs on a ranch of several hundred thousand acres 20 years ago [I wish I could go there again] and the hired hands were putting poison down the PD holes.

I felt it was ecological duty to kill PDs so the cattle could eat the grass, and the rancher be free of the little pests.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
at JohntheGreek.

one of us
Picture of rjrobb
posted Hide Post
Fenced in prairie dog hunting is great. Use the fence posts to shoot over. Makes for a nice steady hold.

Joe

Posts: 411 | Location: CO | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"What are the ethics of hunting prairie dogs in fenced-in areas ?"

There aren't any as far as the p-dogs are concerned.

irwin

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only problem I ever ran into shooting P-dogs behind fences is that Jerk who runs the zoo in town. You'd of thought I was shooting his personal pets or something! That's the last time I pay a full zoo pass fee- they won't even let me bring my rifle through the gates anymore! - Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bill22250
posted Hide Post
Don't forget a couple of strands of Barbed wire on top. You don't want them leaning over and pushing the fence down.

I like it better when they are tied to a post... ought to
put them in a choke collar too... don't want them to get loose and come after you....

Posts: 37 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote