THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Remington 700 LVSF - Need performance report

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Remington 700 LVSF - Need performance report
 Login/Join

posted
I just purchased a 700 LV SF in .308 win. It has the hole under the bolt as you described. I think I can over look this minor flaw due to the fact it will shoot 1/2" groups with Black Hills 150 grain Balistic tips! LOL I love this gun!

Posts: 7 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is my two cents worth. First, I've got the rifle in the .204. It is a fancy gun. I love the Remington guns. I beleive its what you are looking for as far as use of the gun. This is a couple things that I have found with mine. The barrel isn't floated. It really thought it would be for the money. Maybe I shouldn't feel that way. Second, when I ran my OAL guage to get some measurements, it was a "pile" to the lands. Loading 32gr. v-max's, I believe if I remember correctly, I was running .085" off. I didn't try to get any closer because I didn't feel comfortable with it. I realize many of you guys have stated that your Remingtons have shot real well that far off the lands, but I thought maybe it should be a little better. I shoot from Harris bipod about 99% of the time. I think my 250-400yd. shots are better with a longer/heavier gun. The trigger is easy enough to get the way you would want it. That is what I like about the 700's. They are awesome for carring because of their weight. I firmly believe that its boils down to want you want to do with the LV-SF gun. I heard a saying that I firmly believe in..."Varmint hunting is like golf, you can't play the game with just one club".

Posts: 25 | Location: S.Central Kansas | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boyd Heaton: I am glad someone "re-upped" this thread! I had forgotten about your sudden onset of perplexia!
I am still waiting to get some kind of an explanation from either you or Groundhog Devastation as to how ANY Rifle that is splendidly accurate at 100 yards will SOMEHOW become splendidly "inaccurate" at 400 yards!
Explanations please!
I have owned a "ton" (and I mean that literally!) of Rifles and the ones that were very accurate at 100 yards were also very accurate at 400 yards! Their M.O.A. capabilities in other words were the same at both yardages in good conditions!
I simply have never heard a knowledgeable long range shooter contend otherwise!
Please respond as I want to blast either of yours contentions out of the water! I am looking for some excitement!
Boyd Heaton maybe you became so excited that you became speechless over there?
Like I said before you do not need to be able to talk to be able to type! So type something so I can get busy correcting you!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy, maybe they don't see very well at 400 yds! LOL
No it was probably the wind that blew their 400yd groups, a little wind has a great effect on point of impact at that range.

Posts: 7 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's some incredible puffery going on in this thread. Do you actually ever shoot varmints?

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mississippi: You are so right regarding the various "conditions" that CAN and WILL affect bullet flight once it has exited the muzzle. But I was clear to make mention repeatedly that I am only referring to the RIFLES capabilities as compared at 100 and then again at 400 yards.
I have shot in all possible conditions over the 5 decades I have been shooting and they (conditions) affect ones ability to shoot accurately to varying extents. But nothing I have ever observed or heard of can or will affect the Rifles ability from 100 to 400 yards! Nothing short of an exceptionally inappropriate bullet for ones Rifle (twist rate etc) will possibly cause said Rifle to suddenly change a Rifle from being a .5 M.O.A. tool at 100 yards to being a 4.0 M.O.A. (or even a 1.0 M.O.A.) Rifle at 400 yards!
It just does not happen! And that is a good thing!
Keep shooting!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote