New
Find
Notify
Tools

260 Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is this a bit overgunned for prairie dogs and coyotes? I have been quite awhile getting this project done and I am at the point to keep going or quit while I am ahead. I have been trying to get a 260 rem built but I might just scrap the idea and get a smaller caliber for varmints. Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
To my mind the 260 is too big if your priamry use is for coyotes and smaller. I'd go 243, or maybe a 22-250 if you don't already have a 22 caliber center fire. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I'd say it was okay for coyotes.. you are not doing a lot of high volume shooting...

on the other end, it is waaaay more than you need or could enjoy for a day out shooting Prairie Dogs...

223 or smaller is the way to go for prairie dogs..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being that I am here in CO for I don't know how long I was trying to incorporate my 260 project into a varmint prairie dog gun. I probably won't shoot many prairie dogs when I go back to MI. I think I might just scrap the 260 project for mow and pick up a 223 or 22-250 Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
actually the 260 is a pretty good PD gun on a windy day. its nothing that you're going to want to shoot 500 rounds a day with, but on windy days you're not going to do that anyway. Any day not i've got another one coming in, this time a DPMS ar10 in 260 dolled up a bunch. ordered it in june and was supposed to be here this month, but evidently isn't going to get here

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote