Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Varmint Grenades
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted
Anyone using these yet? I was just recently turned on to them by a friend who says they are quite awesome and provide some great impacts on smaller game...

I want to shoot them out of my 204 and try and get head shots on crows at my mothers farm...

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They weren't particularly accurate in a friend's 10" twist PacNor barreled Tac.20. They did shoot well in his Ruger Hornet and produced damage about kin to the older Varminators. I tried the 36gr. Varmint Grenades in my CZ Hornet's 16" twist and couldn't keep 5 on a target fact at 100 meters, whereas the 40gr. Varminators at 3,200fps shoot sub 1/2" groups. I sincerly wish Barnes would bring the Varminators back - great on gophers and terrific accuracy.
As to the Grenades, if made to perhaps 28 to 30gr. in .224", then might shoot in the 16" twist. They are a long bullet in 36gr. weight and about the length of a plastic tipped 50gr., also too long for a 16" twist.

Daryl S.

Posts: 169 | Location: Central B.C. | Registered: 27 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
I see that Midway has some Cor-Bon ammunition they are offering for my 204...

Every one of the people that reviewed the Varmint Grandes on Midway seems to have a 1:9 twist and have very good results out of them. I guess I will wait till Cor-Bon comes out with these factory loads and them I will try them out and see how well it will group with the factory loads...

The only thing they offer for my 204 are 26 grains

I was debating on trying some for my 22 hornet in the 50 grain area out of my Ruger 77

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tried the 26 gr VG's in all three of my 12 twist 204's and they were very accurate. Noticeably less recoil than the 39 & 40 gr offerings. The bad thing about them is that they run out of steam at about 200 yds due to there low BC. The 39 gr BK catches up to it at 100 yards and royally kicks its butt in downrange speed, energy, wind drift and drop. To me it's like comparing them as a styrofoam cup compared to the BK's, VG's, or Nosler BT's

Savage Vaporizer

Posts: 93 | Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
I think I will try and work up some loads for some sub 150 yrd varmint extinction, that 26 grain should carry a punch within that range and should make for quite a nice pink mist.

Everything else will be accepting my 39gr Noslers.

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
If ya go lung shots on coons, the 26gr BVG's are
good for saving hides.....small hole in, no
exit and mush in between.

The .224 36 VG's also work well with 'em, but
only on good sized adults hit in the lungs.

Our independence is dying.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience on ground squirrels Prairie dogs is the faster they are going, the better they work My load is going right at 4000 out of my 22-250. If you hit anything inside 200 yds the expansion is truely explosive. They work great out further but its really neat to see them work up close. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
they work better with the velocity obtained in a 22-250 and faster

Posts: 11 | Location: Central California | Registered: 05 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I’ve tested the 36-grain VGs in a Swift and the accuracy was pretty poor. This Swift is a little fussy about the bullets it shoots. I’ll be testing them in a 22-250 next and just for the hell of it, a 22 Hornet also.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a 30gr. for 16" twist Hornets. Fellow over on Jim Saubier's small bore forum likes them in his Low Wall Hornet on wood chucks.

I need to test some in my CZ's.

Daryl S.

Posts: 169 | Location: Central B.C. | Registered: 27 October 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
G'Day Mate,
I use 36 grain VGs {moly coated} out of 220 Swift, and they scream along at over 4400fps, accuracy is under an inch. Warning though, when you hit something with them don't expect to be much there, they destroy fury little things

Posts: 6 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: 15 October 2007Reply With Quote