Find
Notify
Tools

70 Grain BT
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted
Does the Nosler .243 70 grain BT have a recommended minimum impact velocity ?

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It will expand down to around 1625 fps.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Actually Tommie, it will expand quite a bit lower velocity than that...

That is based on personal experience with them, not what Nosler is publishing...

I have tested them down to about 1200 fps and they still did pretty well.. at least out of my rifles..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
seafire2 wrote: "Actually Tommie, it will expand quite a bit lower velocity than that..."

That is based on personal experience with them, not what Nosler is publishing...

I have tested them down to about 1200 fps and they still did pretty well.. at least out of my rifles.."
---

The 1625 I mentioned is not based on what Nosler publishes. It is based on personal experience and extensive expansion testing.

What sort of medium did you use to arrive at your figure?

I use a repeating medium consisting of 1-inch of air space followed by 1-inch of wet newsprint for varmint-type projectiles. Below 1625 fps, you will lose the polymer tip and may get some deformation of the upper 1/8th inch of the jacket's nose, but I do not consider that significant expansion.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well Tommie,

just goes to show that " your mileage may vary" applies to bullets also..

I wouldn't question your statements as I well know you are not one of the resident armchair ballisticians that lurk in her, looking to prove someone wrong..

I base a lot of my conclusions on using water in milk jugs and also combine that with using wood media, on living wood.. stuff freshly cut, and still full of sap etc...

but we both know instead of arguing numbers, that we both can recommend it as being a good choice for some relatively slow velocities and it will still remain effective..

cheers
seafire
beer

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
seafire2 wrote:
quote:
we both can recommend it as being a good choice for some relatively slow velocities and it will still remain effective..

thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Great info. The 70 BT also shoots to the same point of impact as my Hornady 70 Spitzers (Not the SXSP). I assume they, the Hornadys, are a fair bit tougher ? It would make a great hunting combination if I came across slightly larger game than just varmints.

one of us
posted Hide Post
41.0 grains of VARGET and the 70 grain Nosler in your .243! All you need to know as far as accuracy goes. If your .243 doesn't shoot that load well, trade it off!! You can step it up to 43 grains but foregoing accuracy for velocity has never been my forte'! Try it! You'll like it!GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Thanks Groundhog. Just tried that load and it consistantly goes under 0.8" in my rifle. What a great load.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
22 grains of Blue Dot and a 70 grain BTip will beat that out of my 243s for accuracy...

If you have access to H 414 down in Oz.... 47.5 grains of it and the 70 grain BTip..., bet it will tighten that group up even more...

and its velocity will smoke the 41 grains of Varget...

John Quincy Adams

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
seafire2 wrote:
quote:
Jerry Jeff Walker: " He's 34 and livin in a HONKY TONK...Just kicking hippies asses and raising hell."

Actually, that's written and sung by Ray Wiley Hubbard, although Jerry Jeff may have sung it a time or two. And it's "He's 34 and drinkin' in some honky tonk
Kickin' hippies' asses and raisin' hell."

IMO, the version where Hubbard becomes a story teller and goes on how how he wrote it, recorded, re-recorded it and then recorded it again it the best as it adds even more humor to the equation. beer

I enjoy listening to both artists, by the way.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I meant to add: I don't listen to much mainstream music. Hubbard, Walker, Kelly Willis, Jack Ingram, Robert Earl Keen, Roger Creager, Trish Murphy, Pat Green, Chris LeDoux and my absolute favorite -- Harris & Ryden -- are about all I ever listen to on any long trip and even when I am at work.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
seafire2 wrote:
quote:
Jerry Jeff Walker: " He's 34 and livin in a HONKY TONK...Just kicking hippies asses and raising hell."

Actually, that's written and sung by Ray Wiley Hubbard, although Jerry Jeff may have sung it a time or two. And it's "He's 34 and drinkin' in some honky tonk
Kickin' hippies' asses and raisin' hell."

IMO, the version where Hubbard becomes a story teller and goes on how how he wrote it, recorded, re-recorded it and then recorded it again it the best as it adds even more humor to the equation. beer

I enjoy listening to both artists, by the way.

thumb

It sends a message to those lefties on the political forum.....

John Quincy Adams