THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Any Lefties Out There? (Redial?)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Any Lefties Out There? (Redial?)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
338vt (of B.F.E.! - LOL!): Pardon my slow reply as I have been real busy with guests in from Germany and sighting in and getting ready for Antelope season here.
Now I can honestly say I have never seen a right handed person shooting a left handed Rifle like you describe. Sounds reasonable to me though and I can understand the added quickness in doing things as you describe!
I have been in those hot and heavy shooting situations before where you just don't want that big Chuck or that 3 year old Prairie Dog to get to its den before you can get another shell in the chamber and get that Varmint in the sight picture again for another chance! There are legions of Varmints out there that owe their life to my initial miss and somewhat slow follow-up shots. You described procedure I am sure would have made a large dent in their numbers.
Now I am wishing I had bought that left handed rig myself!
Yes I am definitely going to try one of my buddies left handed Varminters and see how your fire procedure regimen works for me!
Thanks for the tip by the way and I just thought of this - the left handed Rifle needs the cheekpiece of the stock to be the ambidexterous type (like the complete Remington "V" line). If it had the cheekpiece (rollover comb) on the normal side for the left hander then that would be a hurdle for a righty shooting lefty but other than that I like your idea.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
V.G.
Being a lefty has it's perks , but just like you said the stock has to be worked to make them "user friendly"! The Kimber 22-250 vt I picked up last year has a slip on pad for my check peace. I'm sure this would solve your problem as well. Let me know how it goes with the lefty righthanded thing. (p.m.)?

338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
From a bipod or a solid rest the "Oswald Towers" method works great! (So called because that's how Lee Harvey O was ALLEGEDLY able to cycle his Carcano so fast). Just be careful you don't cycle the bolt over your thumb!

My #1 Do-Everything varmint rig is a right handed Savage .223 for just this reason.

VG, if you want, I'll go see if that "correct handed" rifle's still there.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redial: Thanks for the offer but do not go out of your way! If you are in town please do stop in though. I am headed out for Antelope real soon and seeings my favorite Antelope Hunting Ranch (where I have Hunted the last 16 years!) sold last year (bawaaaa - bawaaa hoo hoo) and I have no firm spot to Hunt as yet - I may be a while in gathering in a Speed Goat!
The LH - VS Remington in 22-250 is on the overhead used Gun rack in the aisle (not behind the counter).
Thanks for the generous offer and if you are near please see if its still there.
Thanks again and watch out for the long hairs and the granny dressed welfare wenches as you proceed in that area!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: Is the weather as glorious over your way as it is here?
Nothing like an Indian Summer in the Rocky's!

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a southpaw, and most of my shooting today is from the bench. I actually prefer a right handed bolt since the action is right there in front of me. I don't have to reach across the action to chamber or extract a round. Even if the rifle has a cheek piece most of them aren't so high that they get in the way. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote