New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 Sabots
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does any company sell sabots for a 30-06 for reloading, that imitates Remingtons Accelerators.?

Posts: 27 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I was about to ask the same question. [Smile] I heard that they were "outlawed" several years ago due to the lack of signature they leave but I just saw them in the store today. I must have heard wrong.

How accurate are they? Has anyone used them from a 30-30 for varminting? If the sabots were available I would like to try some from my 300 savages just for kicks.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rem. Accelerators are brutal on PD's. On another line.
I once shot a ceramic tiolet at the county dump. It was like the whole object was broken into 1/4 particles. The disperal of energy into it was very interesting.
I still have 2 boxes of 30-30 acclerators I'll go try them soon and reply.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I once used one in Africa. the rifle had quick detatchable mounts, and for some reason, a red dot sight had been sighted in with them, so you would just swap scopes and you're ready to go.

We were looking for duiker, so I guess it was appropriate.

A small reedbuck was mistaken(not by me) for a duiker and I took the shot. The bullet went through the shoulder, then fragmented and tore the lungs to pieces.

It worked ok, but from what I have heard they are not very accurate. I shot about 80m andit was fine.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GO to E.Arthur Brown company they offer sabots for flat based 223 type of slugs and loading info.

Also check out www.reloadammo.com he has all kinds of load info for sabots

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makarov.com has 30/22 sabots and assembled saboted bullets:

-

http://makarov.com/cart/vitemreload.htm

You have to scroll about half way down the page.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I loaded up a bunch of the sabots from EA Brown, using the Hornady 55gr VMAX and also the Nosler 55gr bal. tip. I did not find much accuracy out of them though. I tried several different loads, but the same 2.5 - 3" groups at 100yds. When they do hit, it is very impressive, but I got more excitement out of the 110 VMAX I wrote about earlier.

Posts: 2 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What's this rubbish about ballistic signatures?

'Scusae the bluntness but.....Take the same highly frangible .224 proj that was used in the Accelerator loading and fire it through a .22/250 ..... then tell me if it's still sufficiently intact to do a comparative study.

Someone has had their thumb down a little too hard on the fantasy button.

It has been noted on other fora that any police dog trained to sniff for objects contaminated with powder residue would pick up the intact sabot withing metres of the firing position..... which would probably provide a superior ballistic signature to that obtainable from a HV projectile.

Cheers....... Peter

Posts: 15 | Location: SE- Australia | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
<WyomingSwede>
posted
I visited the E.Arthur Brown Co. in Alexandria MN. They are good people, very friendly and helpful. They have a lot of interesting products, especially in the Thompson-Center line. I bought 200 sabots, the reloader die, and got the reloading info for about $30.

The sabots are for .30 caliber only. I bought them to play with an ought-six...but right now I am leaning toward experimenting with .300 savage also. Could be a winner in a model 99 savage.

They did tell me for sabot use that best results were obtained with a very clean barrel.

swede

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a lot of trouble with my new H&R 30-06 Ultra
Comp. It won't eject the brass. It again at the factory. I was going to use it as my 30-06 varmint
gun trying out sabots , thinking that my 110 vmax load was bad. I kinda gave up on the 110 load. A few days ago I tried my old 30-06 savage with these loads and it'shoots great. less then 1" groups at 100 yards. I guess I still have a good gun with my elk rifle.