New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vihtavuori powder for 223?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking of trying some Vihtavuori powder for .223, going to shoot paper for accuracy. Will be shooting 52 to 69 grain bullets. Has anyone had good results with N133 or N135? Load recommendations that work for you would be great. jb

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jb,
I have 3 .223 AI, all with match grade barrels, etc, etc....I've tried N-133 and N-135....They are both sensitive to temparature changes..I've been shooting these rifles since 1995 and I believe that the best powders for the .223 in the weight range that you mentioned are: Hodgdon "Benckmark" which is an EXTREME (read that STABLE) powder...It is excellent and has, in my opinion, the perfect burn rate for the .223..... Hodgdon 335 is a close second but is not an EXTREME powder....It is great for warm to hot weather but not good n very cold temps. If can help in any way, let me know....George

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George, I also listed this post over in AR/Benchrest shooting and both of you suggested Hodgson powders. I shoot Varget (which shoots very well) and was wanting to try something a little different. Both of you suggested H335 and you suggested Benchmark which I have thought about trying before. Sounds like Hodgson might be the place to stay. Thanks for the help. Vihtavuori only comes in 2 lb containers and I don't want that much to try a new powder if no one is bragging about it.

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used VV133 in my .222Rem. and .222Rem. Mag. and both produce excellent accuracy in my rifles. It's a new powder to me, and so far I'm impressed. I've used VV550 and 560 for several years now in larger calibers and find they also produce excellent results. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jbok,

I have tried the H-335 and Benchmark and have worked well in my AR-15. The powder that I have been using lately is AA2230 which is doing great with 50-64 gr. bullets. I have not used anything heavier yet.

posted Hide Post
I only ever use N133 in my .223,it's the best.
regards
VV

Posts: 34 | Location: Yorkshire,England | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From my .223 1 in 9 twist Douglas barreled 788 Rem. I have had excellent results with N133 behind both the 50 and 55 gr. bullets in Winchester brass, and Rem. 7 1/2 BR primers. Accuracy is easily sub .5 MOA with both bullet weights. I have shot N133 in both summer and winter and have had no problems with temperature sensitivity. I have had my worst results with Benchmark. Maybe a bad lot of powder I don't know. If you have a barrel with a 1 in 9 twist and want to try the heavier bullets. I have very good luck with N540 in Winchester brass, and Rem. 7 1/2 BR primers with the 69 gr. MK and the Hornaday 75 gr. AMax. Again accuracy is sub .5 MOA. I don't think you will be dissapointed with VithaVouri powders. That is all I use now my 223.

RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote