New
Find
Notify
Tools

E.R. Shaw barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
l know they are not br barrels but they seem to sell a lot.
how good have you found the SS barrels to be.funds are not
to good rigth now.
Old fart can't wait to long....
Jon D.

Posts: 43 | Location: Hornell N.Y. | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
IMHO only having seen and played with 3, I think that they are good barrels. About on par with most gun manufacturer's product

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
If you get a chance PM .257 Wraith, he has a savage 110 with a stainless fluted ER Shaw in .224 TTH and a .270 (also a 110) They actually do really well, I would say they are a little better than most factory barrels....

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd spend the extra and get a PacNor Barrel....

I have seen people pay Russian Roulette getting a tack driver barrel from ER Shaw...

whereas I have not heard of anyone complaining about accuracy from a PacNor barrel...I think they are the best of the lower cost barrels and are as good as some of the spendy trendy barrel Makers like Shilen and Lilja...that cost beaucoup more...

I also believe they average a better and more consistent ( and quicker) turnaround than Shaw also...

good luck tho...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
I heard that Shaw redid a lot of their tooling and machines and is producing much better barrels than they were even a few years ago.

I threw the dice and sent off my action to be rebarreled in 300 Win Mag. I am getting it chambered, installed, and the whole gun reblued for less than $300. Cannot say how it shoots yet because I am still probably two months out from getting it. They told me it would be 16 weeks. I suspect it will be atleast as good as factory.

<9.3x62>
posted
I'v had a dozen or so Shaw barrels put on in the last few years and have really no complaints about any of them. Mostly CM, but a few SS. They all shot quite well and cleaned up well enough. I've actually had better luck with Shaw CM barrels than Douglas CM barrel as of late...

They will do everything for about $300, including the barrel and testfire. This is pretty inexpensive compared to most rebarrel jobs.

Frequently Shaw doesn't offer the caliber, chambering, or contour that I want, in which case I routinely turn to Pac-Nor's unpolished, contoured, CM blanks - best $165 barrel out there I would guess. I then have it installed by a local smith for $250-270 or so - the going rate around here it seems...

I've had Harts, Liljas, and Kriegers, and they are very nice barrels. But they really don't out do my pac-nors by much if at all, so I've kind of settled on Pac-Nor for most all my current projects. Their 9.3mm barrels have been especially impressive...

CM Shilens have been good to me too, actually...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's.don't know what to do ???.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to make it more confusing...someone on another web said Wally Mart has Weatherby (Howa) Vanguards with the 1.5 MOA gaurentee in a bunch of callibers for $299.00.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon-on this one I would have any honest heart to heart with myself.

If, I was gonna shoot this gun a lot (500-1000 rounds a year) then I would take a hard look at waiting till I had more ching. And then would go with a higher end tube.

If it was more of a fun project that was not gonna see tons of use then I'd be for getting after it.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Mark, ya beat me to it. My hunting buddy and I are always trying something different. For our game rifles, getting an extra barrel from E.R. Shaw is fun. For our varmint rigs, Lilja, Shilen, Krieger, etc, etc.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think your looking to hard to save very few dollars on this E. R. Shaw barrel. I looked at their Website. SS sporter contour $230. Then I looked at Bruno's Shooter Supply. Kriger $265, Hart $265 and Shilen 229.95. Anyone of these barrels is of much higher quality than the Shaw. I don't think that it makes any sense to pay for all of a gunsmiths labor to true your action, lap the lugs etc then throw a cheap barrel on it when it comes down to even or about a grand total of 35 bucks. Go with a better barrel. Every time you shoot your gun you'll be glad you did. Good luck with your project.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$35-NO Hart rebarrel now at $600 ready to go.l have had
three Hart barrels.2 were outstanding.1 was no better than
the factory barrel it replaced,a 22-250 on Rem.700 that
shot 1/2 inch.l think l will try the E R Shaw ss and see
how it works out l will let you all know how it works out.
Thank you for your thoughts..
Jon D.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Hey Jon:

To take what Seafire had to say, a little further. I had Shaw barrel 2 different actions for me, one shot like a house of fire, the other was a POS. It was hard to clean, and I had to have the barrel rechambered in order to get any kind of accuracy out of it. Like some of the other guys said, you get what you pay for. And in my opinion, a $100 bucks ain't much for good quality.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And in my opinion, a $100 bucks ain't much for good quality.

Jerry if you look at my post above you will note that the Shilen is cheaper than the price quoted by E.R. Shaw on their website. The Shilen is without doubt a finer quality barrel. So even better is cheaper than the Shaw.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
I just got my barreled action back from Shaw. I had them rebarrel it, chamber it, install, lap lugs, true receiver face, and reblue the action, complete bolt, and barrel in a matte finish. It looks awesome! They had it done much faster than quoted. I got it back in 8 weeks. The total with shipping was $348.

One reason I went with Shaw over Pacnor was because I needed the whole gun reblued, and Pacnor did not offer that service. Shaw only charged $80 to do the whole gun. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet because I am refinishing the stock. Once it is done, I will post results. And...$100 means a whole lot more when you have several projects going at once. And this gun is a hunting rig, don't think I will be shooting a lot of bench with it since it is a 300 Win Mag.