New
Find
Notify
Tools

90 % prairie dogs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What range will include 90% of all prairie dog shots ?

Know we can specialize on only long shots, but if we take all the short range shots offered, at what distance will we take 90% of the dogs ?

In the past have sighted-in too high thinking about the long shots, then had to hold low for way too many shots.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
It depends a great deal on how often the rats are shot at, available cover, shooter concealment, etc. However, I offer the following non-scientific breakdown for the recreational shooter:

0-100 = 60%

100-150 = 20%

150-200 = 10%

200+ = 10% (if even that)

I'm no pro, but I zero my .223 for 200 yards.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Where I've been shooting them, 95% of my shots are under 200yds.

On the trip I just returned from, almost all my shots were under 150yds., and I only used my .17HMR.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer: As one of the previous posters mentioned "it depends on how often the Prairie Dogs are shot over"! This will determine how close a Hunter can get to these Varmints. I have shot over well populated towns when a 200 yard full body out shot was rare! And 300 yard partial body shots were the norm.
I prefer to Hunt my remote and secret (seldom shot over) smaller towns. Where full body out shots are the norm and the quarry less wary! Even at these spots I choose to shoot only at ranges from 200 yards to 550 yards with my centerfires. And as of last year I would shoot the closer in PD's with my 17 HMR. Using it on the Varmints from 100 out to 200 yards.
Again these are my choices and I leave the real close in ones for seed.
But a person should be prepared for those occassions when the only shots in a shot over town are the 300 yard ones!
Good luck!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience in Montana seems to play out the others experiences. I feel that 80 % are within 200 yds or less.

Varmint guy may see a difference, but he is an experienced pro, hence the handle he has chosen. I put forth what my experiences are ,but I would not question Varmint Guy at all, especially on this subject.

250 to 400 yds are the more challenging.

NO one mentioned the other observation that I have seen, the closer they are the more they are crouched down, and/or just all you see is an eye and a nose peering out over a dirt mound at you.

So one standing at 300 yds, is always an easier target.

I am drifting less and less toward the 17 HMR tho, which a lot of guys like. I am getting too addicted to the exploding prairie dog/ sage rat syndrome. No question whether you hit them or missed them, when you see them summer salting thru the air, or flying in all directions in a dozen different pieces.

Keep your shots to 300 yds, with a 200 yd zero, and you will have no trouble heating up your barrel. If you do, I'd just move to another spot.

A prairie dog standing ( full grown) is about the size of a 2 litre pop bottle. A smaller one is about the size of a 1 litre pop bottle. That may give you a point of reference for your target sizes if you don't live where they are locally found.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Varmintguy. If simple killing is what you're after, have at it at any range, the closer the better. With a .5 varmint rifle and a bipod (forget taking the whole reloading room and benchrest to the field), if you can't hit a head peering over the berm of the rat's hole at a "LAZERED" 100 yards, you need to spend some more time practicing. If I was gonna shoot 100 yard rats, I'd at least give them a little chance and use a .22LR
That said, I don't honestly believe I have shot a rat under 200 yards. And I don't use a range finder as such, I use the plex in my scope. I shoot with a buddy and we take turns spotting and shooting. Your "go" is 5 shots with the spotter calling the targets. If you miss, your go is over and its the spotter's turn to shoot, so your "buddy" certainly isn't gonna give your any chip shots.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess i only get to shoot at the wild ones. Where we shoot if you don't want to shoot from 250-450 yards, you might as well stay home. Once in a while we find some "rookies" and get to shoot some less than 200 yard PDs.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy you guys have just made feel better.

I thought it was that I was going to the wrong places to shoot p-dogs because just aa I get to a p-dog town they all take off running. Most of my shooting is from a bench and sticks and at the 250 to 300 yard range as there are very few close ones to shoot at. I have been to SD 5 times and ND 3 times. Thanks for makeing me fell better because I thought may be I was doing some thing wrong. I have also tried hiding the truck and walking up on them and they still run like hell as soon as they see ya.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree...in North Dakota last year, we got a few close ones when we first drove on the town, then it was more like 250-400 yard shots until we moved again.

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane, Storm, Stone, Dick and Got the Bug,

You know what your problems are guys?

You just have to work on your "drive up stalking" techniques is all!

YOU Have to look incognito, like undercover work.

Just look like you are a PETA guy with a camera or something, or a Sierra Club Environmentalist Wacko.

Act like you are really there just to place "Vote for Hillary Clinton" or " Vote for John Kerry" signs on the posts.

You'll easily be able to get within a 100 to 200 yds of them.

Fart every time you shoot, and they will just think you have a bad case of gas. Works every time in Montana!

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

" for the unknowning with no sense of humor, this was humor!"

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Fart every time you shoot, and they will just think you have a bad case of gas. Works every time in Montana!"

Hell I just shit every time I hit one at 350 yds. The next time I will just try farting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...incognito, eh? Guess banging the cymbals, flashing mirrors, and yelling "c'mon out, suckers!" as we crested the hill was a bad idea? Anyone know where I can find a prairie dog mascot outfit? On second thought, scratch that idea...I don't want to take an errant round in the arse from my uncle's .22 Cheetah.

Regarding the farting, I am working hard to cut down. If I am this bad at 32, at 65 I ought to be able to put myself into orbit. When your wife/girlfriend stops saying "ewww, that's disgusting" and doesn't even break in mid-conversational stream anymore, you know you have a problem. Hmmm...possible insight as to why my first marriage didn't work? Nah...

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote