THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    55grain ballist tip recovered from deer

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

55grain ballist tip recovered from deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Today I recovered the first 55gn nosler b-tip from a roe deer.

He was slightly quartering at around 120m, the bullet came to rest just under the skin on the opposite shoulder.

It is now very clear that it is the base of the bullet that is following through.
That is all that was left of the projectile and it is a farily large, solid wad of brass.

Upon skining the animal it looks like the entry and exit have been switched around, with a huge area damaged from the entry and just a small exit.

I have taken some photos so if anyone is interested in seeing the recovered 55gran bullet and the damage it does to the carcasse I'll send the photos, as I cannot post them.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How big is a roe deer?

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
about 65lb

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it was me , I might try the 63 gr Sierra or the W-W Power Point . Should be a better choice than the ballistic tip for edible game ........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a fair amoutn fo big game with a 63 Sierra for a 22 bullet it works great-the old Noz Solid bases worked well also.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express:

Although with proper shot placement, a 55 Grain Ballistic tip will down a 65 Lb animal, its construction is really intended for varmints. That is why you got the performance that looks like it was in reverse order of impact.

While the other gentlemen gave some good recommendations, I think optimal performance in 22 caliber ( you did not state the round's chambering), you may want to consider the Nosler 60 partition or the Speer 70 gr SemiPointed SP.

The latter is my choice in a 223 load for deer.
Powder I use is H380/ 28 grains. Velocity is about 3000+ in a 22 inch barrel.

Of course this is providing it is available on your side of the Atlantic.

Congrats on the Roe Deer, by the way.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think he's referring to the 6mm version from a 6ppc at a MV of approx 3,400fps.

Express - I found the 60gr sierra hp quite good for this sort of thing in my 17" 243 which had ppc performance. Upset was not so dramatic so the in/out holes were the 'right' way around.

In the end I gave it up as I felt that one day I was going to come unstuck. The 70gr hornady sp (not sx) is the lowest I would care to go nowadays and truth be known I now stick to 90gr bts finding that their blend of expansion and penetration is perfect.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was the 6PPC and the MV is closer to 3800fps, although the damage has not always appeared to be "switched around" till now I haven't notice a great deal of damage at the entry, it may be due to the fact this animal was slightly quartering.

The bullet entered behind the shoulder to exit center of the off shoulder.

Much of the brusing is also farily superficial on the impact side, if someone cares to post the pics for me I'll e-mail them through.

<tictac>
posted
1894, what FT lb were you getting from that 17" barrel and that "light" bullet out of interest? I assume it was 17" because of a moderator?