Find
Notify
Tools

Fart squirrel in the yard
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Skunk breeding season is getting close so they're all wandering around, getting hit on the highways. I don't mind them in the fields but they're not allowed in the yard or near the chickens.

Took him with the AR and Pulsar thermal scope.

Just at dusk last night I saw a groundhog about 400 yards away, waddling across the pasture. I went out there with the gun in the side by side but couldn't locate him. I did get within 30 yards of a group of whitetail does. They don't seem to spook at all when the electric UTV comes close.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're enjoying the country life Frank. Are you finding much work involved in the upkeep ? I guess one big plus is the ability to enjoy using a rifle virtually anywhere from your doorstep onwards.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Grant, the upkeep on the land, etc. keeps me from getting fat and lazy so it's a good deal. I do try to reduce it as much as possible though, I just had 400 meters of driveway chip sealed (graded, compacted, oiled and stone added) so I don't have to grade the hill every time it rains anymore.

I went out chasing a big groundhog the other evening with the AR and thermal scope when I saw it waddling across the pasture. It was about 400 meters out so I should have just shot it from the basement door with the 22.250 AI but I wanted to video it though on the Pulsar scope and just didn't catch up to it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote