THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Prairie dog hunt options in TX??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prairie dog hunt options in TX??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am trying to put together a hunt for myself and my 16 year old son.
Does anyone have any recommendations they can offer.

We were going to do several different hunts and have had a run of bad luck. He just broke his foot in wrestling practice and is now on crutches, with very limited mobility.

I figured prairie dogs might be an option for him and i have no contacts for that type of thing. Can anyone offer any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Posts: 167 | Location: Rockwall (Dallas), TX | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look up some of the larger small town Chambers of Commerce in the Panhandle on the net. Send some of the best prospects an email telling them you are looking for a place to hunt prairie dogs. I know that the Dalhart C of C used to keep a pasture available for free to attract visitors. Others may be able to direct you to landowners who will let you hunt a town on their place for a small (hopefully) fee.

There are also a few people in the Panhandle who guide for prairie dogs. You might also find them via "google". "Guiding" in this instance sometimes just means showing you to the place they have permission to hunt, but some of them may also provide equipment like a portable shooting bench or trailer and some sandbags and such. A guy who knows what he's doing can also help you with spotting your shots, getting you out in the field at the best time of day and making the best approaches to a known colony.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here's a couple of places that advertise in the varmint hunters magazine
Boss ranch www.bossranch.com 432-395-2490
west texas predator hunts www.blackfootguideservice.com 806-842-3965

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Jeremy at Sagebrush Outfitters offers PD shoots near Dalhart:

Link-click here

These prairie dog hunts are for the person looking for a relaxing and exciting hunt in the off season. It will give you the opportunity to sharpen your shooting skills at any range you choose with plenty of rounds spent each day. These hunts take place near Dalhart, TX.

Semi Guided Hunts $50/hunter /day
Includes:
lodging on the ranch
use of shooting range on the ranch
map to known prairie dog towns
use of shooting benches
*2 person minimum

Guided Hunts $175/hunter /day
Includes:
lodging on the ranch
use of shooting benches
guide
*2 person minimum

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Ken Mayer at www.aaoutfitter.com
They are located just outside Clarendon,Tx
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Semi Guided Hunts $50/hunter /day
Includes:
lodging on the ranch
map to known prairie dog towns
use of shooting benches
*2 person minimum

Unless "lodging on the ranch" means sleeping in a horse stall, that's a helluva good price!

Be sure to ask anyone you might contact, regardless of location, if the towns are currently healthy. Plague is endemic in Panhandle praire dog towns and from time to time outbreaks will decimate the population. They will come back eventually, but if you go to a town that has been hit hard recently you'll mostly find vacant mounds with a few survivors scurrying for cover.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help.
Sorry it took me so long to reply, work has been getting in the way lately. Smiler

Posts: 167 | Location: Rockwall (Dallas), TX | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
“Hunting” “Prairie dogs” is an oxymoron. The minute a rancher thinks that there is valve in his pests and charges people to shoot them is the day he can keep them. If he finds them of monetary value to his cattle operation by leasing “PD hunts”, it’s a sad thing.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote