Find
Notify
Tools

Calhoun bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of redial
posted
Does anyone know what the proprietary silver coating is on Calhoun bullets? Or, more usefully, how to get it off?

I prefer to buy Made in Montana products since we have a local economy similar to Somalia's but I've shot these for the last time. They foul a barrel terribly in a dozen shots and by the 20th round, you can't keep 'em on a piece of typing paper at 100 yards. Worse, you have to burn incense and dance in a circle naked, chanting to get it out! Nothing seems to dissolve it and JB is the only answer.

Sorry, rant off .. What is this stuff? Nickel?

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. C told me it is a standard bearing metal. Zinc? Babbit? Didn't mention best means of cleaning, but you might ask. Nice guy. luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What caliber? How many do you have and what might you want for them?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
They're 17's and I understand he's no longer making that size. I still have a couple hundred 28 grainers and a handful of pulled 22 gr.

I tried molying the 28's but it didn't "take" at all.

They're yours for $10 shipped ($2 for the box, $8 USPS "ship anywhere" rate). Otherwise, I'll use them in my Wrist Rocket ...

Mark
markriedlATyahooDOTcom

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Nice visual there redial, thanks a lot.

How do I put out my mind's eye?

You owe me a breakfast...

jumping

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, sorry. I was hoping they were 22s. I've had great luck with those.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stormbringer
posted Hide Post
I sent you a private message. I will take all the 17 caliber Calhouns you have for the $10.00. Just send me an address to send the check/postal money order.

Mike.

Posts: 94 | Location: Fruit Heights, Utah | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote