Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best AR for the money?
 Login/Join

posted
Im looking into purchasing an AR in .223 for varmints and for sitting on dog towns and wondered who make the best gun for under $1200.00? Im looking for a flat top model with a heavy barrel. Thanks in advance.

Jay

Bowhunting is life the rest is just small stuff.

Posts: 11 | Location: West MI | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rock River

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rock River and a Bushmaster,and I like both.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you looking to be $1200 with optics or just the gun???? If the $1200 is for the gun only I would recomend a mixture so to speak. I would use a Rock River Arms lower, and order a Accuracy systems upper. Accuracy Systems guarantee .5" accuracy, I've seen 3 of there uppers one is mine, all exceed the guarantee with room to spare.
You should be under $1200, mine with a JP enterprises single stage trigger, Larue QD scope mount and a Bushnell 4200 Elite 2.5x10-50mm ran about $1500 total.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Im thinking I can afford $1200. for just the gun. Im thinking $1600 for gun and scope. Thanks!

Jason

Bowhunting is life the rest is just small stuff.

Posts: 11 | Location: West MI | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt 6724 and wish it was a Rock River with the 20 inch barrel.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jghoghunter
posted Hide Post
I have a Bushmaster varmit model with the heavy 24" barrel and it shoots .5moa and you can get them for a little less than a grand now leaves more money for a scope

Posts: 30 | Location: exact center of pa | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P&Y, there are so many choices out there now, I would not be real concerned on the lower as most all lowers will work just fine with a good quality match two stage trigger group.
I would look for a top of the line flat top upper with a 24" barrel . I chose Kreiger but there are many others that are as good. I have heard very good reports on the complete RRA but have never used one.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
I have a Colt 6724 and wish it was a Rock River with the 20 inch barrel.

I have a Colt 6724 as well LJS, what are your issues. Mine is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned. The only modifications I have made are to add a Jewel trigger and the Sierra precision grip. It is a heavy rifle, but I prefer to keep that many muzzle blasts away from my ears as possible. Yes it is a few dollars more than P&Y wants to spend, but it will be worth more over time. Also the barrel quality is second to none.

See this link for Colt's information.

Colt 6724 information

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les Baer. But it's a bit more than he wants to spend.

Posts: 64 | Location: Shreveport, LA | Registered: 06 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
308Sako: The trigger in my Colt is bad compared to the Rock River. I guess I could upgrade but with the higher price of gun plus trigger makes it much more than the RR. I seems like such a "big" gun with the 24 inch barrel. I guess I want a 20 inch is the bottom line.
LJS

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
No body shoots the Bushmaster Predator? I'm on the fence between the Bushmaster Predator & the Rock River Predator, both are fine guns just trying to decide.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I would put my money on a Rock River!

My Dad, myself and my younger brother all have diffrent Rock River rifles and all three shoot very accurate and they shoot every time.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Grampa6
posted Hide Post
I have a Rock River, a Bushmaster, and a Colt. I would suggest either Bushmaster or Rock River, both of which are better quality than the Colt.

"You may find me one day, dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Trooper M. Padgett

Posts: 5 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I own a better gun than my 6724...

It's the second Colt in a stable of 3 AR's (very good shooter)

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
I own two AR's. #1 is a factory DPMS hi rider upper with a 20" 1:8 twist heavy barrel. I like the hi-rider because it comes with out the forward assist and the trap door. It has a PWA lower with a factory two stage trigger that has been tuned. Burris 6-24x signature scope and a harris bipod.Here is a pic of the rifle and a 200yd target that was shot off the bipod using 52gr.black hills HP. Forgive me for reposting as I recently posted these photos in a recent thread.
Copmlete upper: about $500
lower: about 275
Scope: about 350 (ebay)
bipod: about 75
Gunsmithing and money wasted on the FN upper that I could not get to work properly: $800 or so

#2 is a Rifle I recently purchased off of Gunbroker. I am just going to copy and paste the description from the ad and save myself from an hours worth of typing.
DPMS LOWER, JP Fire Control Trigger kit with Speed Hammer and antiwalk pins, 24" CROMOLY Barrel, MAGPUL Modular grip, MAGPUL PRS STOCK WITH ADJUSTIBLE CHEEK AND BUTT PLATES, Tatical latch, PRI TATICAL Steel scope mounts,HAHN PRECISION A3 RISER, NIKON BUCKMASTER 6X18 Scope, VERSAPOD Bipod, Armorers tool, case and boresnake.
I have only taken it to the range 1 time and it did ok (about .75" groups @100 yds.) but I think it has alot more potential. It did not have an accu-wedge installed.
Price for complete package: $1100+ shipping and FFL transfer

For something reliable right out of the box I would go for a factory built gun. I am quite happy with DPMS but I have not had a lot of experience with many others. I hear a lot of recommendations for Rock River. In my personal opinion I would stick with the 20"barrel in 223. Both of my rifles appear to have the same trajectory. The camo gun is a lot heavier. My 20"er is pretty quick getting out of the truck when needed.
thats my $.02

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to post to the topic twice but since everyone is showing off the hardware.

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing
All my AR's

Rock River Arms lower, Accuracy Systems Upper 22" in 204 Ruger.

Colt 6520 AR-15 A2 Gov. Carbine in 223

Olympic Arms Class III Registered Receiver with a Gem Tech M4-96D Suppressor in 223.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Bearcat, very nice... and you are excused... LOL nice (and quiet) toys.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If I had a $1200 budget for an AR...I would give the AR-10 in .243, .260 or .308. You can reload some real good stuff for all the above. I know, 5.56/.223 is cheap, but you will out shoot everyone at the range and desert with a DPMS AR-10 for $1200.00

P.S. I think DPMS has a Ruger .204 also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an AR-10 243 They are so clumsy and hard to handle its hard to believe they were ever built,I couldnt get rid of mine quick enough.w/regards

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Well if everyone else is showing off, how about a righty and a lefty?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12566 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ar-15 I built has a Stag lower, Rock River Arms upper, w/ 18" heavy barrell in 223, 8 twist. Shoots 75 gr hornady hollow points into 1/2 inch at 100 yds. I built it as a coyote rifle but to date have only killed hogs, jacks, coons and deer with it. Don't know if its the best, but it sure works for me. As to the money, the lower consist of the stag lower built up with national match trigger, Houge stock and grip @ $270. The RRA upper at $590. Normally I used Leupold or Zeiss scopes but on this, as it was to be a truck gun, I put a Simmons 44 mag in 3.5 X 10 WA mil dot that I bought on closeout from Midway for $69. So I have about $925 total in the gun.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P&Yhunter:
Im looking into purchasing an AR in .223 for varmints and for sitting on dog towns and wondered who make the best gun for under $1200.00? Im looking for a flat top model with a heavy barrel. Thanks in advance.

Jay

After having a particularly bad experience with a factory built AR which eventually had to be sent back to have the barrel replaced, I would at least give Mike a call here.

He has quite a following on Predatormasters.com and from what I understand the rifle is checked out before it is shipped.

My next AR upper will be built by him.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
If you were to shoot highpower matches at Camp Perry,OH either Service Rifle class or Match Rifle class you would find a great many rifles built by Compass Lake Eng. in Florida. Mr. Frank White builds a superior AR15 in all respects and uses mainly Krieger or Douglas barrels. Does his own lower and uppers and the chambers and profiling of the barrel is correct.

Accuracy and dependability are first class and believe you can come very near the price level you have budgeted. Check them out @ www.compasslake.com or if that is not the correct location, just do a search and they will pop up. Good luck in whatever you purchase.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
Bearcat, very nice... and you are excused... LOL nice (and quiet) toys.

Thanks! with subsonic handloads they are very quiet Smiler

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
I don't want to change the thread but, I'm a left handed shooter, in fact I'm blind in the right eye. Is the lefty above my only choice. I'd like to purchase a left-handed model with a 20-24" heavy barrel and flat top. I'll top it with a Leupold 6.5-20x50mm LR/T with the varmint reticle bought a few months ago. I do a fair amount of coyoete hunting.

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AI22-250:
I don't want to change the thread but, I'm a left handed shooter, in fact I'm blind in the right eye. Is the lefty above my only choice. I'd like to purchase a left-handed model with a 20-24" heavy barrel and flat top. I'll top it with a Leupold 6.5-20x50mm LR/T with the varmint reticle bought a few months ago. I do a fair amount of coyoete hunting.

The AR platform was designed for both left and right handed shooters, I have a nieghbor that is a lefty and shoots with a standard AR ie right hand ejection. He loves it, the deflector that is built into the upper throws the brass foward of the shooter so it shouldn't bother at least it doesn't him. Hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ai22-250,
Stag Arms makes and sells left handed lowers and most likely complete rifles. You might check out their web site.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdeshazo:
No body shoots the Bushmaster Predator? I'm on the fence between the Bushmaster Predator & the Rock River Predator, both are fine guns just trying to decide.

Some of us do. Wink Zero malfunctions, the 2 stage match BM trigger was great, out of the box, as was accuracy.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 904 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Here's my Predator with a few modifications. It shoots 1/2" with 60gr V-max.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How do you like the skeleton stock???????Nice Rifle by the way

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearcat:
How do you like the skeleton stock???????Nice Rifle by the way

I do like it. Also put on a winter trigger guard, Panther grip, JP tension pin, JP single stage trigger and Speed Hammer. Thanks!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
If buying a left-handed rifle from Rock River isn't as important. Is the Bushmaster Varmint model a good performer. I see some discusion about it above.

What does you mean, SDESHAZO, that no one shoots a Bushmaster Preditor. Are these 2 different models? A little confused..... I see the Bushmaster 24" barreled model listing for a little over a grand. I suppose you can find it for less. Also do I need to start building my own if I want a .204 Ruger? Another question,

Gohpershooter -- Are all the AR-10's "clumsy" or just the 243AI?
So many questions, so little time......

Thanks, Mike

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My AR15 I have Model 1 upper reciever which is a flat top 24 inch stainless heavy barrel and a DPMS lower reciever I payed all together around $650.00 It can shot .5 groups all day long at 100yds. I take it praire dog hunting all the time. I love it great shooting gun. You can find the upper at www.model1sales.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike;I think they all are they are built on a heavier lower and upper they are really muzzle heavy.I just thought they would be super but I hated mine.If you are just wanting more power some companies are chambering for the short mags on AR15 platforms.I have a 223 and a 6.8spc and like both.w/regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
AI22-250, The Bushmaster rifles are good ones, there are two versions of the "Preditor" one is a 24" barrel and the other is 20". As far as the 204 goes there are a few companies that are building the 204 in factory form. Les Baer makes one I know and I think some others do to, someone chime in if you know the other companies. Other than that it is a build it yourself type deal. Which isn't as hard as it sounds, you can order a complete 204 upper from someone and a complete lower from someone else and they just pin together.

As far as the AR10's being "clumsy" they are a little, they are very heavy, I had a Stoner SR25 in 308 once....very heavy but what a shooter! Hope all this helps, good luck

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Mike:
The predator has 20" 4150 carbon steel barrel and the VS has 24" SS bbl and some minor differences such as pistol grip. See following links for details:

Bushmaster Varint Special

Bushmaster Predator

Bushmaster Varminter

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 904 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
My Bushy Varminter (24" barrel, 1 in 9 twist) is a tack driver. I've had ZERO problems with it and have killed plenty of dogs with it. My 11yr old has taken it from me and now I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. He has killed his fair share of dogs with it also. I may pick up a Predator (20" barrel, 1 in 8 twist) just to have something a little different than him but definately Bushmaster all the way! I don't like the looks or the feel of the Varmint Special.

Here's the dog killer, this one was a hair over 300yds. It was a head shot...he said he meant to do that bull

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Love pic of rifle in the field, esp. in the field, like to see more of the same........

-Ben Franklin

One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with my 16" Colt with an ACOG illuminated scope. Very light and quick to manuever.

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote