New
Find
Notify
Tools

6x47
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought an older sporter Sako rebarreled to 6x47. The price was attractive and my plan was to rebarrel it to a 223. The barrel is excellent and it has test targets that are superb. I got lots of brass, dies etc. so maybe I should leave it as is. Would it be a suitable varminter and what would be its maximum effective range? I keep saying no more guns but they just keep coming home with me. bewildered

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Is there much diference in 6x47 and 6x45, I've got the 6x45 in AR15 and have killed a few deer with it out to 200 yards using the 85 HPBT at around 2500 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned a 6x47 for a number of years in the 1970's. It was superbly accurate, and I set a 200 yard benchrest record with it.
I would leave it as is, and shoot lots of critters with it.
Mine would only shoot well with bullets jammed against the lands. So, start with lower powder charges to begin with if you go this route.
Don

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
LJS, the Nosler 55 grain BT's weren't available back in the mid 80"s when I shot a 6 x 47. It's a super round, and the greater bullet selection available today should really open up the possibilities. Good luck, and give it a try.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a great little varmint round. I use mine out to about 500 yards (70 gr Sierra BK @ 3150 fps). It's accurate and very pleasant to shoot.

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LJS: I wish also to be put in the "leave it as is" column!
I have a factory stock Remington 40XB-KS in caliber 6x47. It is simply one of the top three most accurate Rifles I have ever owned!
I use it for long range Colony Varminting.
The brass lives forever and this efficient little cartridge performs splendidly in the field for me!
My 6x47 really likes the 70 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips!
I have not used my 6x47 on Deer so can't comment there.
I do know its the cats meow on Rock Chucks, Prairie Dogs and Badgers! I have taken both Rock Chucks and Prairie Dogs out just past 400 yards with it. I am certain you could do a "500 yarder" if you got after that objective!
Best of luck with your "new" Sako.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote