Find
Notify
Tools

Calling Wolves
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
So my elk hunting has been terrible this year and the wolf tracks are everywhere. Has anyone been successful calling them in?

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you try, be well aware of your surroundings. You just might have a bear or cat stalk you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't been successful yet, but will be out trying quite abit through the winter.

Posts: 52 | Location: North Idaho | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got one with a rabbit predator call Big Grin Wasn't terribly difficult but probably depends on the siuation. Cow elk call can work well. Working on the howling thing for this winter. Bought one of these, but a trapper friend assures me a fair human made call will work just as readily.

http://elkinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=133

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
My most sucessfull and productive calling sound was a coyote pup in distress and ravens! Wolf sounds seem to make them more wary than usual and that's saying a bunch. Yes ANY call will bring in bears!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
My most sucessfull and productive calling sound was a coyote pup in distress and ravens! Wolf sounds seem to make them more wary than usual and that's saying a bunch. Yes ANY call will bring in bears!

Crows, ravens and magpies are a plus. Big Grin First shot I had at a wolf was on a ranch that was having calf predation problems. Rancher set me up in a nice heated trailer overlooking a couple of calf carcasses they put out. Shortly after dawn, crows and magpies came, followed by Canis Lupis s. Winged him and lost him when a snow storm moved in while i was tracking him.

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:

Crows, ravens and magpies are a plus. Big Grin First shot I had at a wolf was on a ranch that was having calf predation problems. Rancher set me up in a nice heated trailer overlooking a couple of calf carcasses they put out. Shortly after dawn, crows and magpies came, followed by Canis Lupis . Winged and lost him when a snow storm moved in while i was tracking him.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
My hunting buddy has two sons who live in central Idaho and those two guys are deadly on wolves.

They do use an electronic call and have mentioned that volume seemed to be a needed asset.

The still ended up shooting them at long distance and both of them use 30-06.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I was able to hand squeek one in in Saskatchewan while deer hunting once, stopped about 60 yards out in the meadow in front of me... Awesome moment as I was asking myself what the heck was I doing as I couldn't shoot a wolf there!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote