THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Ok how about the CZ Varmint Laminate??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ok how about the CZ Varmint Laminate??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I made up my mind(should read,... my wife gave me the ok Big Grin ) to go pick up a new Rem. 700 vssf in 22-250. They didn't have one thumbdown So I got to looking at a few other guns and really liked the looks of the the Ceska Zbrojovka 550 Varmint Laminate. I had it on the counter and was that close to buying it when i decided to hold off and get some input on this make and model too. I've never seen, shot or owned one, so despite the reassurance from the salseman that it was capable of the accuracy I was looking for (ie 1/2 MOA or less) I just couldn't spend the money without doing some research.

So can I get the good, bad and Ugly from anyone who has shot the CZ line?

Thanks
Ricky

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I think CZ's are some of the best rifles being offered anywhere. I like the triggers and the fact that I can adjust them myself to my liking and not pay a gunsmith. I also like the smoothness of the bolt. Depending on what you want the 550 is a pretty heavy gun in varmint form. Some people may not like this, but if you want light weight and a heavy barrel. look no further than the CZ 527. If you are want a flatter shoot caliber than even the 22-250. I would highly recommend the CZ 527 in 204 ruger. The 204 dosen't have quite the energy but it is considerable flatter shooting and with less wind drift than the 22-250. Also the 527 varmint will save you about 2.5#'s over the big 550. Also one disadvange of the 550 is it only is a long action. so if weight and size don't matter get the 550, but I would look long and hard at a 527 in caliber 204. BTW both my 527's one averages .5 with factory stuff the other is MOA with factory stuff. great guns!!

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, cummins cowboy, I looked at the .204 but I was told it was real hard to get ammo and near impossible to get brass, is that true?

Plus I don't have a 22-250 and I'm sure I wont be happy till I have one. I don't mind the weight and I prefered the looks of the 550 to the 527. Really it all comes down to the fact that I want to get what will shoot BEST, so I'm willing to lug the heavier barrel and stock around.

Anyone else?

Ricky

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had my CZ550 Varmint for about a year, and as stated, that thing is heavy!
Accuracy has been okay, nothing exciting. Various 50-52-55-60 gr bullets, using RL15, H414, and 748 have grouped in the 3/4"-1.0" range, more often the 1" side.
I will review my log for more detail.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I don't think you will have problem with getting 204 ammo. Rather you may just have to plan out what you are going to need and buy it in larger quanities. The reason there is somewhat of a shortage is because the 204 is so popular its been difficult to keep up with demand. Also I belive remington and winchester is now going to make it as well. either way I don't think you can go wrong with either. I am just partial to the 527.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Checked the records, and my CZ550 22-250 likes the Sierra 55hpbt best, with regular 0.5" groups using RL15 and AA2015. Still testing some other combos, hopefully 748 will be happy behind some 50&55's it hasn't seen yet.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote