New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 750 opinions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i would like your opinion on Remington 750 synth .243Win, as an 300m stationary, low-volume shooting, varmint/small game gun?

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steffen,
I've never seen a Remington semi auto that would come close to a bolt action for accuracy.
The 750 might be an exception, but I doubt it.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1,5moa accuracy should be sufficient, but i wouldnt want anything less accurate.

then the Molot Pioneer is my last hope for a autoloading small game/varminter.
i'll have to research it more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if i want an auto in those calibers i'll go to an ar. i know i can get one to shoot well, the remmy - well??

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
does anybody want to try to guess realistic accuracy from a out-of-the-box Rem 750?

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steffen:
does anybody want to try to guess realistic accuracy from a out-of-the-box Rem 750?

If it is guesses you are after then the answers are not worth having.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Steffen, It would be impossible to say how a rifle "you" would purchase will shoot. Some of the Remington semi-autos might do under an inch with ammo it prefers. Change Lot #s of the same brand or switch to a totally different brand and it might do 2" groups. Same with different Bullet weights, you just don't know until you try them.

Same can be said for ALL firearms, regardless of the action type. You can improve your chances of getting better groups by Reloading, but occasionally it can be a struggle to get nice small groups with any of them.

I'll guess the reason people have not provided more answers is they just do not want to mis-lead you. You might get a great shooter, or you might not.

However, apparently these provide an overall smaller group average than do the Ruger semi-autos. A lot of people seem to think 2" groups for the Rugers are just fine - not me.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to buy.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
This rifle will probably shoot more accurately with mid or heavy for caliber bullets too. These are generally used for deer hunting not varmit use. I do have a 7400 in 30-06. With my best handloads it does 1 3/4 to 2 inches at 100 yards. You may get one that shoots better. For my use, jumping deer in brush at 25 yards-- it works fine.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only experience I have with a Rem SemiAuto was 742 in 243. THe former owner, an extraordinary woodsman and trapper I witnessed shooting a quail in flight! I bought it, experimented w/ loads and found 85gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips to be the best load-close to MOA, but never saw a deer to shoot( Hexed due not telling my wife about the new gun???) Not any good news on newer models from hunters, they use bolt actions since dog-hunting in AL has declined.

Posts: 37 | Location: SE USA | Registered: 12 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not having had a Remington Model 750 I really can not answer your question.

However I have had a few different 742/'s & a 7400 over the years. Out of the 742's the best shooting ones I ever saw regardless of chambering were a pair of 742's in 6mm Remington. Both of them would shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yards.

I had a 742 BDL Deluxe in .30-06 that would be hard pressed to better 2 MOA.

More recently I had a Remington Model 7400 Weathermaster in .30-06. I tried several different handloads as well as several different factory loads. It was a solid 1 1/2 MOA shooter.

I have had a few AR-15's in .223 (currently have two) and all have been sub MOA shooters at 100 yards. I recently did some work on a buddies DPMS LR-243 and it would do a honest 1 MOA.

If I wanted an accurate semi auto I'd opt for an AR of some sort.

Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I wanted an accurate semi-auto I'd have to agree with others and go to the AR platforms........they are not "spray and pray" anymore!! If I wanted a "traditional" style semi-auto, it would be a Browning BAR rather than the Remington "jammomatic". GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
If I had it to do over again, I would go with a custom single shot bolt action.

With varmint hunting you have plenty of time if you are shooting off a bench. Single shots have the advantage that there is no break in the bottom of the action so they are more rigid. The also tend to be less expensive because you don't have the expense of the extra machining and magazine system, etc. I would spend the savings on getting the very best trigger (eg. Jewel, etc.) and barrel I could afford.

I like a heavy varmint pattern, then have it fluted for better cooling.

Most of the time I load single shot in the field in any event.

Below for example is The Atlas action is a Remington 700 clone. Comes standard with bolt stop, trigger hanger for Kelbly or Jewell type triggers, aluminum bolt shroud, and top safety cut Action starts at about $700.

Now this may seem like a lot, but for a Model 700 with a lot of stuff you might throw away, it about the same, and you get massively better stuff. Further the action is designed to fit your choice of after market Remington stuff.
Available options:

Fluted Bolt- $60

Ejector- $75

Recoil Lug (pinned)- $35

Cerakote action body and bolt handle- $100

Polish action and bolt handle- $120

Stolle 1.115 Headspace washer (to use Panda or Kodiak barrels)- $30

Long action- $60

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just noticed you are in Norway and you may not have the options that we do in the states. There are some tricks to make them shoot a little better, but I would be surprised if you could get it shooting better than 1-1 1/2" groups with handloads.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote