Find
Notify
Tools

a couple varmints went down!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
Here are a couple pictures taken back in December of two varmints that should have zigged when they zagged. I always head out to the panhandle of Oklahoma for the first week of pheasant hunting. Usually while out there, we always take the time to shoot some p-dogs when our legs get tired of pheasant and quail hunting.

At daylight we were headed over to my friend's house who has several hundred acres of alfalfa. We were going over to try and find some badgers that were tearing up some of his fields. Well, we turned off the main highway onto his drive way which is about a half mile long to his house. Well, before we get to his house I spotted this porcupine waddling through the CRP grass. I scream stop the truck and take off with my Ruger 17 MHR. Two shots later one very dead porcupine. I didn't know those guys would throw their quills when shot. This guy sure did!

So, things had started out right! Just breaking daylight and one varmnint already in the books. We get to my friends house and head out to one of the fields where the badgers were causing problems. We were driving around in the truck and I spotted what I thought was something slide off into one of the irrigation ruts. I bailed out of the truck with the 17 HMR and ran about 40 yards just to the top of a hill, looking down the irrigation rut. And there he was hauling ass down the rut in the other direction. The first shot he was probably about 100 yards away and just as soon as I shot that sucker went to flipping and growling like there was no tomorrow. I ran about 25 yards closer and shot 2 more times because my dad didn't teach no dummy and I wasn't getting any closer to a wounded pissed off badger. Well, the second shot settled him down and third finished him off.

This was my first procupine and badger I have ever taken. Went on that day to kill both my limit of pheasant and quail. Certainly a good day to be me!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Graybird: Congratulations on your two Varminting "firsts"!
Good shooting there.
The 17 HMR has the capability of inflicting lots of "lethality" with "carefully" placed shots. I have killed both Porcupines and Badger with my Ruger 77/17 as well.
Great pics by the way!
Keep after 'em!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote