THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: 204's & High Magnification Scopes

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 204's & High Magnification Scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Actually i'm going in a slightly different direction-- i just ordered a Leupy 4.5-14X LR 30 mm/Varmint Hiunter reticle/M1 target elevation turret to put on a 16" Broughton-barrelled Sav. Striker in a match-necked .243 WSSM. I'm gonna be using the rig for a spot and stalk coyote/rockchuck sniper.

VG-- had any experience with the Hornady bullets out of the 24's?? I intend to see how far out i can go with this rig, and am torn between shooting the highest BC pure varmint bullet-- the 87 gr. V-Max, or the 105 A-Max. I know i'll be able to go farther with the A-max, BUT i've got to have some terminal performance also. Any ideas guys???

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbhewitt: I have used a couple of different Sightron 4x16 variables that friends of mine own. They were great in the field! I was so impressed in fact that I have recently bought two Sightrons of my own. They are both 6x24 power variable Sightrons and I am very pleased with both. I do not use the scope adjustments in the field to attain proper holdover and windage though! I am to set in my ways I guess to go to that new technology. I did briefly and deliberately test both scopes tracking ability as I adjusted them when shooting sighting in and load testing my own handloads. They worked correctly and did not "hesitate" at all when adjusted.
Both 6x24 Sightrons I bought were used and I consider them very good values for what I paid. They both diminish just very slightly in brightness as the power increses into the 22 - 24x range. I would guesstimate that the total picture brightness of the field of view dimininishes by 2 - 4% at these highest power settings. I can easily live with this.
I like everything about the high power variable Sightrons I own especially their looks, the adjustment knobs, crosshair design, AO, 1/8 MOA click adjustment values etc etc etc.
I would not hesitate to buy another used one for a "good price".
Holding zero has not been a problem so far but both scopes are new to me this year and have only travelled with me a few times each. Zero has held as far as I can ascertain so far.
Good luck if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sscoyote: For no particular reason I am a bit behind in experience and using the Hornady V-Max bullets in the 24's. No particular reason I just have been using Sierras, Nosler Ballistic Tips, Eubers and Bergers in my many 24 caliber Varminters. I have been using a lot of Hornady 22 and 20 caliber V-Max's though and am impressed with their accuracy and lethality on Varmints. Also negative experience on the 105 gr. A-Max's.
Good luck on the nifty new Striker rig!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a remington 700 classic in 221 fireball and two cz varmint one in 17 rem and one in 204 ruger.

all have simmons 4.5-14 Ao Outfitter scopes and they have worked out exceptionally well. These scopes are only avbailable from National Buying Syndicate member stores.

In my area they are available from Bob ward.com for a reasonable price.

trshep

Posts: 55 | Location: kalispell,mt | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey VG, I noticed that you had used or are using a sightron scope. Just curious as to how you liked them. A lot of people don't like tasco, I have two that have held up well, one of them being atop a 25-06 for quite a while. I just ask three things of a high magnification scope,1 clear optics 2 hold a zero, and 3 come back to zero after being dialed up.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote