THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Wondering how this would work...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wondering how this would work...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
for a superior varmint rig...

.172 CAL 37 GRAIN VLD MOLY
ID: 17-37 VLD MOLY
Category: Bullets

Very Low Drag
Coated with the Berger process
Recommended twist rate is 1/6
Ballistic Coefficient is 0.343
Boat tail

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DigitalDan: I use the 25 gr. Berger bullets Moly-coated in all three of my 17 caliber centerfire Varminters (1 - 17 MachIV and 2 - 17 Remingtons).
They are Varmint killing bullets to the max!
I have killed Coyotes, Badgers, Rock Chucks, Prairie Dogs, Jack Rabbits, Ground Squirrels and several types of Varmints that fly with these rigs and the Berger 25's.
The 25's work wonderfully well for me lethality and accuracy wise.
What are you trying to do get more range out of a 17 caliber Varminter, beat the wind a bit more or kill larger Varmints?
I have not tried any larger or smaller bullets as yet in any of my 17's. The 25's seem to do all for me that I ask of my 17's.
Long live the 17's!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ddan-they will work, and the 17 will still be a 17.

A cute round that is fun for cocktail time stuff but that is it for me. Fun for gophs and pd's to 300 for sure though.

Good luck

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I always thought about the same about the .17s but all the recent hullaballoo over the .204 got me looking at newer small bore bullets and was somewhat surprised to see the Berger bullet above...BC being the point of interest. Dunno what you could push it to fps wise...before things got silly. Mostly just pondering...most of my varmint tools are 1/4 bores.... The characters over at http://www.coyotegods.com seem to think something around 150 yards or so for the .17 Rem on dogs, that using the 25ish grain bullets...hide collectors all.

The twist rate required for the Berger torpedo made me giggle a bit....

VG, mostly wind...gravity isn't that hard to dope.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote