Find
Notify
Tools

Coyote hunting in Georgia?
 Login/Join

<chuckwalla>
posted
Guys,

All this coyote talk has me juiced up to go coyote hunting. First, I've never even seen a coyote. I know they're here(Georgia) I've read some reports on the GWRD website. Which lets me to a few question, if you would be so kind to answer.
1) I live and hunt in Georgia which is very hilly and not much flat land. It is possible to have any luck in the woods calling them in?

2) What's the best way to get started and what are the best calls and how do you practice?.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your success in the woods would be very limited. Try finding pastures or such. They don't have to be huge. 100 yards or so. Back up against a creek or naturally occurring barracade and call from there. If you're using a mouth caller (hurt rabbit or such) and its legal in you state, set up a stuffed rabbit or fox or bird out to one side of you. This give the yote something to focus on other than you. If you're using a electronic call, set the speaker as far away from you as possible. Again use the decoy if possible. Be patient. If you're going to set up, plan on staying there at least 30minutes. Coyotes won't be the only thing you'll call. Most anything that has a taste for rabbit can come creeping in. Looking around to find a bobcat gazing at you from about 25 feet can be exciting. If you use a stuffed fox, and don't shoot the coyote before he gets to it, he will wear it out in short order.
Knocking on doors asking farmers if they've been hearing any coyotes is a good way to start and a good way to get hunting permission.
Pretty soon, you ought to be able to do pretty good with a howler.
Good luck
[Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot one from my tree stand in 2001, which got me interested in hunting them. I've done about 20 stands, in the woods (I have access to 800 acres of woods), but so far, nothing. I did call up a bobcat, and millions (so it seems) of crows, but no coyotes. I know they are around, though.

Good luck.

Pertinax

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote