New
Find
Notify
Tools

coyote hunting question?
 Login/Join

<kcfx>
posted
should you remove a dead coyote from an area that you call? will the fallen coyote's mate ( or any other dog) still stay in the area or will they aviod it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My own personal observations would indicate it makes no difference but I can't quote you chapter and verse of anything to prove this.

Every animal has a "home range" of varying size and complexity. I can't see the loss of a family member causing a creature to move away. "Home turf" is something animals guard very jealously so you don't just be-bop around at will.

But this is just my two bit opinion on the subject. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kcfx, I had a couple of dogs (littermates I believe) staying close to my house,early one morning I dispatched one of them and have not seen hide nor hair of the other one since.

Posts: 97 | Location: Mo. | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe it makes a difference either. I've even thrown skinned carcasses out on the prairie many times over the years, and never seen it to make a difference (that I knew of).

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
interesting question. I do know if you shoot the old bitch running with her pups, it doesn't seem to make much difference to the pups on your next trip out, but if you shoot one of the pups and not the old bitch, you can burn that tape 'cause she'll never come to it again. And I think she can teach the young'uns to avoid it also. I've always moved the carcasses but it was for convenience more than any plan.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<kcfx>
posted
i was just curious because i haven't had any luck at this calling spot since i left a dead one where he dropped. i've been back 3 times and have not seen a one.the farmer says he still hears them at night up at the old farmhouse,(i sit inside the old corral by the barn and call them out of the timber into the pasture),so i know there is some around.what can i do next,any suggestions?,i tried a differant tape last time and i can't hunt at night.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kcfx, It might be a good idea to get a howling tape, or better yet a mouth-blown howler (most any external reed call will work for this). If they haven't been called by this method yet, it will probably work to some degree. I've been howling for many years now, and it's the only call I put on a lanyard, and keep around my neck all the time (even when I'm sleeping). It's the ace in the hole, that frequently works when nothing else will. You can get an instructional tape on how to use one, and the various vocalizations coyotes make, but it's been my experience that if you simply imitate what the coyotes are doing, then it will work--oftentimes. If you get into ahowling match with a dog or 2, and they shut up all of a sudden then they are probably coming in--probably. In my opinion howling coyotes in is much more rewarding than distress calls, especially challenge howling back and forth with them. It takes calling to a whole new dimension--believe me. If you start howling and you don't get a response it doesn't mean they aren't responding. I believe that once you howl, even once, you should stay on stand for at least 15 min. or so--treat it just like a regular stand.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 30+ years of huntin the,"Barking dog" I have never seen where a carcass has caused other coyotes to avoid that area unless they were with the Yote that was shot there and you were using the same call. I realy don't think that will affect you. Changing the call from a tape to a hand blown call or as SScoyote said above learn how to howl. There are many instructional tapes out to learn from.

for about the last 12-15 years I have implimented the use of the howler and that is how I start every single stand, with a loan howl and 2 or 3 barks. After you shoot one of the dogs that come to your calls use the howler to mimic the sound of a dog hit by a car or your dog you steped on, that distress of a coyote is a sound that they don't hear much and even if they run off they many times will reapier. I use it all the time to get 2nd shots.

Good luck and Smote the Yote

Slydog

Posts: 38 | Location: southwest Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote