THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: .22-244 Ack Imp range report!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .22-244 Ack Imp range report!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted
What type of brass do you use? Is it some kind of exsisting brass or do you form it from another size or have you had some made?Thanks in advance

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Though some of you may be interested in this testing,

I have had several customers asking for me to purchase a large capacity .224" caliber reamer for my shop as they want a big 22 to reach out 400-600 yards.

I was thinking about several designs that would produce higher velocities then the 22-250 AI I already have. The Improved 220 would certainly do this but then your still stuck with the damn rimmed case and some of my customers are serious coyote hunters and said they would prefer to have a rimless round.

I settled on the 22-244 Ack Imp and called my reamer maker and gave them the dimensions I wanted it cut to. Well last week the reamer showed up and I just had to play with it.

I have a Ruger M77VT that has never really shot well with max loads because of a non baring bolt lug. I ripped it apart, accurized the action, set the barrel back 1/2" to clean everything up and cut the chamber to the bigger 22-244 AI.

I was able to take the rifle out over the last few days and do some serious load testing after fireforming 50 rounds of brass.

I started with Rl-22 and the 55 gr Sierra Blitzking in Win cases and using a CCI-200 primer. OAL for all test loads was 2.820".

Here are the results of the top four test loads where the chamber pressures were getting into usible ranges. These are for 9 shots/three 3 shot group averages.

50.0 gr
3702 fps
70 fps E.S.
ctc: 0.858" ave

51.0 rg
3821 fps
31 fps E.S.
ctc: 0.835"

52.0 gr
3923 fps
22 fps E.S.
ctc: 0.626"

53.0 gr
3962 fps
17 fps E.S.
ctc: 0.347"

The pressures are so low at with these loads that only the top load opened the case mouths up enough to slip a bullet into the fired case.

I have loaded up two more loads of 54.0 gr and 55.0 gr and will see what these two loads do. I have been very impressed so far.

Getting nearly 4000 fps with pressures in the 45,000 to 50,000 psi range is pretty impressive. Will be interested to see what the next loads up do.

Will let you know when I test them.

Good Shooting

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yote,

The 244 is the 6mm Remington. That is what Rem called it when it originally came on the market with the 1-12" twist barrels. Problem is that this riflign twist did not stabilize the 100 gr big game bullets in the 6mm family and the 243 Winchester with its 1-10" twist quickly ate the 244 Rem up and spit it out.

Soon after that, Rem pulled the 244 off the market only to rename it the 6mm Rem and they tightened the twist up for teh 100 gr pills. Sadly, it still never gained a large following but its a bit case to wildcat off from and the 6mm Rem brass is easy to get from both winchester and Remington.

All you do it run the 6mm Rem brass through the FL die, powder, seat the bullet and fire.

In modern terms, this round should be called the 22-6mm AI but that is not as catchy to the ear in my opinion.

Another bonus, one can use 22-250 AI dies for this round as they have identical dimensions, the 22-244 AI is just longer in the body with a little bit longer neck.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote