THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Best place for varinting in the States/Canada?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best place for varinting in the States/Canada?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would be interested to find out about the better places to go for a high volume varmint shoot.
What's the best way to go about it? Outfitter?
Costs?
I'm not neccssarily talking 500 or 1000 varmints in a day with three rifles to alternate between, but I would like to have at least a hunrded or so shots over the course of the day, and out to long distances.

Is one state, location or outfitter any better than another?

I would be more than glad to do a swap hunt for wild boar, roe or fallow deer for a varmint safari if anyone is up to the challange!

I've now got three rifles that would be great varmint rifles and nearly no varmints to use them on.

.223 LTR
6PPC Varminter
.308 HTR

Anyone wanna help me burn some powder?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS...

For prairie dogs anyway, some of the top states would be North and South Dakota. I have been lucky enough to go with family that has contact with ranchers, so I don't have any experience with outfitters.

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't have ferel cats in Italy?? derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Get the Varmint Hunter Magazine. They have ads for all kind of guides for varmint hunting. Wyoming has a free walk on program, so contact their Fish and Game Dept.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say South Dakota is pretty nice. I'm planning a trip in June and will load 2000 rds for 3-4 days. If you want info on how I go about putting a trip together send me a message.

Jeff

Posts: 38 | Location: Madison | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I told you where the best place is ...........it wouldn't be the best place any more now would it.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say S.D. but last year was our first time going. We are going again this year and plan on making it a yearly event.

I was interested in one of your guns though, What is an HTR? I have the LTR in .223 and have contimplated getting one in the .308. Is an HTR another Rem. 700?

DuB

Posts: 52 | Location: North Central, MO | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HTR is for Heavy Tactical Rifle, it a HS Precision, very accurate rifle if not, as is descriptions says, a little bit heavy.

How do you like the LTR?

It seems there are no takers on the swap hunt...No one from S.D. keen to get over to Tuscany for a hunting holiday?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote