Find
Notify
Tools

204 with 223?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Is it worth owning a 204 when you already have a 223? My boss is trying to talk me out of getting another varmint gun but I sold my motorcycle and the money is already burning a hole in my pocket

If you own both or a 204 please post up your comments to sway me!

Thanks

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 204 with the 39-40gr bullets is more like a 22/250 than the 223Rem. You get a longer reach, better wind resistance and flatter trajectory.

It is not a replacement for the big guns, but it is great as a supplement to the 223Rem, adding about 150 yards of range without the blast and recoil of the high speed 22's or the 6mm's.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not have a 204... but I have the 22.250's etc, along with the 223s...

You know another varmint set up will allow you to compare cartridges.. It could undermine your faith in the 223 or strengthen it...

Watching other 204s convinced me I didn't need one... but once you have that to compare to the 223, you never know.. you may decide you don't need the 223!

I don't think you will loose much if you try it, don't like it and then sell it.. there is always a market for it...

Since you have the Savage, you can also just order a 204 barrel for your 12BVSS Lefty.. Sharp Shooters Supply can set you up for about $300.00...and the barrels are not hard to swap...

If you like one over the other, you can always sell the barrel here on AR, plenty of other guys who will take it off of your hands..

Dopey me, I have no interest in the 204 whatsoever.. yet I am looking at doing a barrel from Sharp Shooter's Supply in 20 BR... for some reason that appeals to me more...

A 17 Rem or a 17 HMR don't appeal to me either ( I have several of the HMRs and have tested them extensively).. but the new 17 Fireball interests me because I was getting interested in the 17 Mach 4.. same cartridge...

A good varminters has to try out multiple calibers.. but a lot of us keep coming back to the 223 and the 22.250 as our daily staples....

But a few bucks and that Savage of yours, you can try out all sorts of varmint cartridges! I have plans to do just that with mine!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a .204!! You'll love it!! And if Seafire had gotten himself a 222MAG instead of a .223 he wouldn't be posting such drivel Wink Smiler!! Big Grin GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy and I have been out chasin sod poodles. Me with my 204 and he has a 223. After a few outings he is now sorry he bought the 223 instead of the 204. I can whack-em out further and the aerobatics are more impressive.

Savage Vaporizer

Posts: 93 | Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
Get yourself a .204!! You'll love it!! And if Seafire had gotten himself a 222MAG instead of a .223 he wouldn't be posting such drivel Wink Smiler!! Big Grin GHD

Yeah I would!!! moon

As the saying goes about the obvious, If I have to explain it, then they don't have the capacity to understand it.....

But I'll make an exception in your case Charlie.. you are from a great part of the country... and you like the same things I do...

you just think the wrong tools are the cat's meow! but as long as you can make em work....

I'll still live happily ever after with my 223s and 22.250....and maybe the 6mm Rem for those waaay out there prairie dogs!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
of course its worth getting a new 204, in fact I can see why I really neat several new rifles. Logic has nothing to do with it, its just all desire dancing Big Grin Roll Eyes

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
WinkJust got off the phone with a fellow who is about to sell me a 22PPC BR rifle for an extrrrodinaraly resonable price. Golly! there goes my .204. stirroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire, I can kid around with you!! Some folks can't take a joke!! Big Grin I do love the .204!! I also have an affection for the 22-250!! And just so you will have a little satifaction, I just got an original center grip XP-100 today that has only had 60 OR LESS rounds down the tube and it's chambered in .223!!!!!!!!! I will pick up a "white box" of Winchester USA 45 grain HP to test it with(came with a 2.5-7 Burris already mounted) and I'll bet I won't even need to dink around with reloading for it!! I have yet to see a .223 that wouldn't shoot that "white box"(40 rounds forr 15.95) DARN WELL!! And for the big guns.......I love the 6mm and the 25-06!! If I could only have one gun to shoot what I will encounter in my travels and normal hunting.............it would be a 25-06 of some sort!! For the really long stuff, I am growing more fond of the .260 REM shooting the 140AMaxs or the 142 Sierras!! I have an "eastern safari" planned for Monday and Tuesday of next week! I'll send you pics of the carnage!! WinkGHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd look forward to that!

Myself and a local friend, hopefully will be playing hookie and going out on Monday for a day of sage rat shooting...

I'll try to remember to bring along the old camera on my end also!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 204 smokes the 223. Better yet build a Tac20. The powder burning rates work better with it and makes about 150 fps more with 32 grainers on a smaller case. After owning a few 17 and 20 cal rifles I sold all my 223s and never looked back. If you shoot mostly squrriels look at the 17 Fireball/17Mach4. It's all you need out to 400 yards and it's a real laser beam. Remington only loads it to 4000fps but all my 20g VMax Mach4 loads make 4200 with no pressure signs at all.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are an occasional varmint shooter, then you're in good shape with your .223. However, if you are a varmint enthusiast then the .204 is a "must add".

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in prairie dog country , I m 71 years old and started shooting p dogs when I was 14 years old. Over the years I have used the 17 HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Rem, 204 Ruger, 22 LR, 22 WMR, 221 Fireball, 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 22-250, 220 Swift and a few of the bigger bores. I added a 17 Fireball a few week ago but have used it yet. I have a Browning Varmint 223 Rem and a Howa Thumbhole Varmint 223 Rem but the Ruger Gray Target 204 Ruger is the centerfire rifle I take out the most along with a 221 Fireball. The 223 Rem is a fine round but the 204 Ruger round is a better round for shooting prairie dogs. For bigger varmints the 22-250 Rem is the one I use.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Darm, forgot the 22 Hornet.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote